It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 am 

I am going to be building on to an existing bed in my front yard and have a mulch and soil question.

I am going to be planting some new trees and bushes in the bed and I also want to build the whole bed up with some fresh soil.

Can I put this soil directly on top of the old mulch that's in the bed or do I need to remove the existing mulch? I was going to put the soil down, plant and then put new mulch down on top of the new soil.

Is this ok?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 am 

Ya it's ok. Layers are good for a bed. Just make sure when you plant shrubs to water in really really good to get the air out because with layers of mulch there will be more air pockets than usual. The mulch will break down under the new soil and make it even better. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 am 

Uh, that's not exactly right there Dirt Face. Yes the mulch will break down (decompose) but once you cut off the supply of nitrogen (from the air), decomposition will shift to a glacially slow progress.

I would pull the mulch out first and replace it back on top when you have the new soil in. Mulch doesn't really do any good at all under soil. In order to get the nitrogen it needs to decompose, the fungi will take nitrogen from anywhere including all the fertilizer you might use there.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:26 am 

Ok I tell ya what, lets go get a bag of mulch, then you spread yours on top of the ground, and I will burry mine under a layer of soil, and lets see who's breaks down first... I promise you I will win.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:57 am 

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a novice when it comes to planting anything so that's where the question is coming from.

I guess my real question is (since I'm not concerned with how fast or slowly the old mulch will break down) will putting soil on top of old mulch and then planting trees or bushes hurt whatever I plant?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:53 am 

t and replace it back on top when you have the new soil in. Mulch doesn't really do any good at all under soil. In order to get the nitrogen it needs to decompose,