It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:29 pm 

Hi All -

I live in North Dallas (Flower Mound area) and in addition to my multiple Earthboxes growing peppers, beans, and tomatoes, I'm now getting into fruit bushes.

I have several black currant (loved these when I was visiting Australia) and dwarf blueberry bushes in temp planters and am trying to determine whether to go containers or ground for their permanent homes. I'm leaning towards containers as I can better manage the soil, drainage, etc.

I'm guessing these plants will max out at about 5-6 feet in height and width. Anyone have suggestions on container size and a place where I can get them? My understanding is that half-barrel size is perfect due to the shallow rooting systems, but the neighborhood nurseries (Calloways, etc) don't carry them.

Also, I hear that full sun is good for berry plants. Is that true even for our what-can-be-brutal Texas Summers? Should I try for a more partial shade location?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks -

JD

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:17 pm 

Containers will be easier to control ph, but because they are above ground will be have more frequent water requirement during the worst of the summer. If you go for containers, maybe you could move them to a partially shaded location during the worst of the summer? I have some Dorman Red raspberries planted in ground with eastern exposure so they are getting shaded by the building behind them by 3 in the afternoon, and they have done wonderfully for 10 years now. They don't require the acidity that blueberries need. Do black currents need acid soil? I've never tasted them. They sound intriguing. As for containers, I wonder if framed raised beds filled with an azalea soil would be easier than keeping containers watered enough during July and August? A few years ago someone at a nursery told me that you can put 1 Tablespoon of vinegar in each gallon of water to help the blueberries. She said that even our tap water of alkaline. What kind of blueberries do you have? I made one attempt to grow blueberries several years ago but gave up, because I really had more than I could take care of without committing to such a project that plants that don't thrive in our soil ph. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.