It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:40 pm 

"Preen" makes an organic pre-emergent weed control with corn gluten that I meant to buy. Instead I picked up a nearly identical container of their non-organic pre-emergent weed control. I applied it Friday 3/19. It contains Trifluralin 1.47% and the label says is not for use on lawns (according to the fine print, which I read later out of curiousity!) I have contacted the company and they cannot tell me how this might damage my lawn. They recommended applying activated charcoal @ 1#/100 square feet and watering daily for 3-5 days.

Can anyone help me find better information about this product and my lawn? The research I have done thus far seems to show Trifluralin is used on lawns for weeds.....I am confused, worried and frustrated. Your help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Kristine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm 

According to the EPA it is used on grass. You might want to come back with compost in a month or so to restart your soil microbes.

Just out of curiosity was it yellow and smell like corn meal?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:22 pm 

David, thanks for the advice!

To answer your question, the product is a combination of a yellowish granule (that does look rather like corn gluten meal, which is why I did not realize the mixup right away) and a gray colored granule. Did not smell like corn gluten, but nor did it smell particularly chemical, either. I thnk the labeling of these 2 products is poor, to say the least. They can be easily confused and you have to have a magnifying glass to find the ingredients on the label, almost as if they do not want you to know.

I will get compost on as you suggest. We had the yard sodded nearly 2 years ago with St. Augustine. It was laid over a weed infested area. The weeds keep coming up through the sod even tho we do the organic fertilizer, corn gluten and compost. Any suggestions?

Thank you again for replying!
Kristine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 pm 

What kind of weeds, grassy or broadleaf? If you know what the plants are that can make a difference. Are they in sun or shade?

Are you mowing at the mower's highest setting?
Are you watering no more frequently than once a week in the heat of summer and once a month otherwise?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:23 pm 

The St. Augustine area gets morning sun. The bermuda gets sun most all day. We have both broadleaf and grassy weeds. They are growing vigorously now.

I will re-encourage my husband to set the mower up higher. We have a sprinkler system and have used it 2x/week for 18 minutes in Summer. Have not watered since November. The underlying soil is clay.

There is a liquid product that is supposed to help clay; is it worth the expense?

Thanks again! Kristine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:00 am 

If that liquid product is molasses or compost tea, then yes. I'm not a huge fan of the Medina liquid products. What were you thinking of?

The broadleaf weeds will shade out both bermuda and St Augustine, so you need to do something about those. St Augustine will clear out most other grassy plants, but you can get the winter annuals this time of year before the St Augustine awakens. Try pulling them by hand as soon as you see them before they grow together. Definitely get them before they go to seed or you'll have them to contend with again next year.