It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Two tomatoes per hole?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:39 am 

I was listening to Howard and the Tomato Lady Sunday on the radio. They talked about planting two tomatoes per hole. That surprises me because I thought we should give tomatoes plenty of space for good air circulation and disease control. Do any of you have any insight on two vs. one tomato plant per hole?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:41 pm 

I wondered about that also. By the end of the season, no matter how much space I thought I was giving my tomatoes (I usually grow Super Fantastic and a couple of types of cherry tomatoes) I end up with a hedge, a veritable wall of tomatoes. So the idea of crowding them even more seems counter productive. (When the tomato crop has a good year, I always have tons the way I do it, so trying this new method isn't something I'm really tempted to try. But I hope someone reports back.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:45 pm 

I don't think I would ever plant 2 per hole. Most of the indeterminant tomatoes I've planted go up and over a 7 ft cage, making them almost 14 ft. long. I can't imagine trying to tie up 2 of them in 1 cage. It's almost impossible to keep one of them upright all season as it is.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:16 pm 

I end up with all sorts of things staking up bits of the plants. I put out extra cages to support heavy limbs and use those shepherds crook kind of birdfeeder or plant holder supports for more strength (I bought a bunch at a garage sale this spring at $2 each just to use for holding up tomatoes!) If the plants are on the ground the snails get the fruit, no matter how hard you try to get rid of the snails.