It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:35 pm 

Just bought this little home in lewisville, TX last year. As I weed and dig in the beds I keep hitting ROCKS!! It's a pain in the neck to begin. What is the purpose of this rock other than to make mulching and planting difficult. :(

Golfin' Granny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm 

Well the good news is that, while there is some debate on the subject, many believe that volcanic rocks offer benefits to the plants.

The bad news is that they are a pain in the back to dig through which is why I use hardwood mulch :-)

I'll bet you that you could pay some young-spined kid on your block $5 for each 5 gallon bucke tthey can dig out so that you can work the soil more easily though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:34 pm 

haha appreciate your response. I'm in my 70's and what I have found from this generation of "kids" they are not interested in doing anything for $5. It is very sad. They feel put upon to do most anything. thanks for the response (I think) but I still don't know if those rocks really help. lol no problem - i'll just keep throwing them out and picking them up. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 am 

Volcanic rock dusts are also a source of minerals for sustainable plants and beneficial soil organisms, that may not be native to your soil region.

Here in Alabama where I live, it is extremely hard to find any form of volcanic rock dusts. However we do have tons of limestone and shale rock dusts in our quarries here. All rock dusts are great mineral sources.

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton