It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: CELEBRATION TURFGRASS
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:35 pm 

Hello!

First time to post on the Forum so I hope I do this right! :)

I live in Flower Mound, TX. My yard is a combo of St.Augustine and Bermuda. The St.Augustine grass has been down about 4 years. August of last year, we got Brown Patch. Then Summer Patch, then Gray Leaf Spot and possibly Take-All Patch. Three weeks ago, we removed all the St.Augustine on one side of our house. We planted Celebration Turfgrass. This area is probably the most shaded area in our yard. And due to our neighbor's yard being higher than our yard, we do get a lot of run off rain water. We do have French Drains and that does help. But this area does remain damp for a few days after a rain. Celebration has all the good qualities of Bermuda AND it is more shade tolerant.

I would like to know if anyone has planted this grass and has any 'tips?'

Thanks!
Char Harris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:28 pm 

St Augustine really is the grass of choice in Texas. That or bermuda. You might have been ahead of the game if you had dug a swale between you and your neighbor to let his runoff drain away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 am 

St Augustine really is the grass of choice in Texas. That or bermuda. You might have been ahead of the game if you had dug a swale between you and your neighbor to let his runoff drain away.

We started off with Bermuda. It died off due to this being a more shaded area. We then planted St. Augustine. It did okay for about three years. Then we had a very rainy Spring. Then we had fungus after fungus.

The heavy runoff from our neighbors yard is not the problem. The french drains take care of that. It is the moisture that seeps thru the retaining wall for days after a good rain. The grass remains damp, not much sun and then the fungus starts.

The Celebration Turf is doing really good. Even thru the snow and the freeze. We are now getting ready to plant Celebration on the other side of our house. And if our St. Augustine does not come back this Spring we will replace the rest of the yard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:50 pm 

Where did you get the celebration turf and was it sod or seed? Does it need full sun or will it do okay in partial shade?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 am 

Hi,

Celebration does not require full sun. :D It has all the good qualities of Bermuda plus it is more shade tolerant. We got our sod from a sod farm. If you google 'celebration turfgrass' you can find an authorized grower in your area. After I send this, I am going to see it I can post the link. The site will also tell you step by step how to prepare your yard for the sod and how to take care of it. I plan to make this my first 'organic' area. I feel very hopeful! We have had so much rain and even snow and ice. Of course, it is not green, but it has rooted and is draining beautifully. When we do have a few days of warmer weather and sun, we have a few green areas appear!

~Char
(Flower Mound, TX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:24 am 

http://www.sodsolutions.com/sod_starcelebration_bermudagrass.shtml

I hope this works!

~Char Harris
(Flower Mound, TX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:52 pm 

Thank you Char,
I will check out the web site - appreciate your reply.
Linda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 am 

A bermuda that does not need full sun? Please keep us informed as to how that works for you. That would be a miracle grass for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:04 am 

A bermuda that does not need full sun? Please keep us informed as to how that works for you. That would be a miracle grass for sure.

We are in the process of melting after 13 inches of snow. The new turf looks good. (Our St.Augustine is in bad shape.) The area by our house is green and growing. This area receives about 3 hours of sun at this time of the year. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm 

Hi char,
With respect to organic fertilizer on bermuda, bermuda is a nitrogen hog. It wants all it can get to make good color. The most successful bermuda lawns under organic care fertilize with straight soy bean meal at 40 pounds per 1,000 square feet every month during the growing season. That is a lot of fertilizer but the soil and grass are VERY happy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm 

Hi char,
With respect to organic fertilizer on bermuda, bermuda is a nitrogen hog. It wants all it can get to make good color. The most successful bermuda lawns under organic care fertilize with straight soy bean meal at 40 pounds per 1,000 square feet every month during the growing season. That is a lot of fertilizer but the soil and grass are VERY happy.

"Avoid disease and insect inducing growth by reducing Nitrogen rates."

So for normal turf, fertilize Spring, Summer and Fall... low on Nitrogen.

The color of Celebration is a blue green. And it is very soft.

~Char

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 am 

Hi Char,
The recommendation you posted is for synthetic fertilizer. Still you can use that recommendation for you organic fertilizer as a safe starting point and observe the color closely. Keep in mind that if you see the color changing to yellowish on, say, July 4th, then the time to have fertilized with organic would have been on June 14th or so. It takes 3 full weeks for most organic fertilizers to work before you see the results in the greening of the grass. Then next year you can mark your calendar to fertilize in mid June. That's just an example of one way to customize your own fertilizer schedule.