It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Clover type stuff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:12 am 

I have a clover like substance in my back yard that came up in the dirt I removed to put in my paver deck. Its not terrible to look at its just not a full cover and gets very weedy in the summer. So should I get rid of it or is there a way to make it more dense so that it covers more like a grass. I have two large dogs and they are hard on any grass I have had back there, the only think that survives is the st aug in the corner that is too shady to grow any thing else besides weeds of course.

I am new to the organic lawn treatments so any thing can help.

Post subject: Re: Clover type stuff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 am 

Many organic lawns use various low growing clovers mixed into their main lawn grass, on purpose!

All clovers are legumes, and they add extra free atmospheric nitrogen into the soil via the rhizobacteria living in the legume roots. This helps cut down on sustainable nitrogen/protein fertilizers for your main lawn.

If the clover still bothers you, either kill it all out with strong vinegar based herbicides, or just keep overseeding and re-planting new lawn seed (of your choice) into your existing lawn.

Make sure to keep feeeding your lawn rich mature compost and protein fertilizers (like corn meal products) every year, so that your lawn will be thick, rich, and green during the warm season months.

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: Re: Clover type stuff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 am 

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10846

that shows a picture of what I have in my yard, my question is how do I take care of it, meaning either grow it or kill it what ever is best.