It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:31 am 

For the past few years I have tried growing tomato plants from seeds, but have not had the best of luck.
I have tried planting the seeds in a planter around early Feb. The seeds will germinate, and I will keep the planter outside, bringing it inside when it gets too cold, so I think they are getting enough sun, but here is what has happened... They will get their 2 first leaves, and then they will not grow much anymore. By late March, a lot of the plants have either withered and died, or the leaves look like they have white dust on them. Some do make it, and develop their secondary leaves, but at most grow about 3 inches. By April, I will plant the survivors but have to supplement with store bought plants, which I was hoping not to do. My seed-plants will usually take off when I plant them in the ground, but by then, its too hot for them to produce a lot of tomatoes. Any idea why I am having such bad luck growing tomato plants from seed?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:43 am 

you probably have "damping off" disease, southern blight, or another fungal disease.

From: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c2217.html
Prevention & Treatment: Damping-off is often a problem in plants that are planted too early in the spring. The fungi are more active in cool, wet, rich soils. To prevent damping-off, take these precautions:

Start seeds indoors in sterilized potting mix.
Do not start seeds in soil that has a high nitrogen level. Add Nitrogen fertilizer after the seedlings have produced their first true leaves.
Allow the surface of the soil to dry between waterings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm 

I also had trouble the first time, until I read The New Seed Starters Handbook by Nancy Bubel. I had progress.
Tomatoe seeds need to be started indoors for about 6-8 weeks before transplanting in March and you have better progress with a heat matt for seeds. Also you need light lamps to keep seedlings from stretching. Keep them moist and after true leaves come out fertilize. and transplant after you get a few more sets of leaves into 4" containers or cups.
I get better results using planting seeds in the peat pellets.
Good luck growing your seeds.