It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Organic Clubs in Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:33 am 

Visit, Meet, Learn, Share & Grow!

Arlington Organic Garden Club: Meetings are held on the last Thursday of every month (except November and December) at 7:30 p.m. (7:00 p.m. social) at the Bob Duncan Community Center Garden Room, 2800 S. Center St. in Arlington. Contact e-mail: board@aogc.org. http://www.aogc.org

Dallas Organic Garden Club: Organized in 1993 to share the organic method of gardening through speakers, tours and participation in garden and nursery events. Monthly meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. the 4th Thursday of each month, January - October, at Fretz Recreation Center 6950 Beltline Rd at Hillcrest. Contact form on website: http://www.dogc.org

Denton Organic Society: Group devoted to sharing information and educating the public regarding organic principles (including gardening, landscaping, sustainable land-use, biological pest management, health implications, and life-style choices) through speakers, workshops, and field trips. Monthly meetings are at 7pm (social at 6:30) the third Wednesday of every month (except July, August, and December) at the Denton Senior Center, 509 N. Bell Avenue, Denton, TX 76201
Phone 940-382-8551. Visit website at http://www.DentonOrganicSociety.org

The Organic Garden Club of Fort Worth meets at 7pm the 4th Tuesday of the month except July and December at the Fort Worth Deborah Beggs Moncrief Botanic Gardens, Redbud Hall, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd., Fort Worth, TX Contact email: ogcfw2007@yahoo.com. http://www.ogcfw.webs.com

Lakeside Organic Gardening Club in Garland meets the 1st Sunday of the month at 2pm at Rohde's Nursery. Phone 972-203-9170

Greater Fort Worth Herb Society: Dedicated to herbal education. Newsletter provides tips and ideas for members. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. the third Saturday of each month at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd., Fort Worth. Phone: 817-568-9575.

Organic Garden Club of Garland & The Lakeside Communities (214) 647-1424. Meet in Rohde's little red schoolhouse the first Sunday of each month at 2:00 p.m. Free and open to the public. Contact: Sue Brown, PR & Marketing
Lakeside Organic Garden Club
Phone: 972.203.9170 susan_c_brown@hotmail.com

Northeast Texas Organic Gardeners: An organic gardening group in Kilgore meets on the first Wednesday of each month from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 pm at Wildwood Eco-Farm. Please call Carole Ramke, 903-986-9475, for directions.

TOFGA Texas Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association: http://www.tofga.org
288 Sw County Road 0020
Corsicana, TX 75110-9309

Austin Organic Gardeners meet at 7 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at the Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin. For more information, visit http://austinorganicgardeners.org

Clubs and information also in the latest issue of "The Dirt" .

This announcement is updated periodically. Information is subject to change without notice. Contact information for each group is stated to the best of my knowledge. If you are aware of any changes regarding contact information, please alert me through private messaging here on http://www.dirtdoctor.com and the necessary changes will be made upon confirmation. In addition, if you know of a club not listed here, please let me know. Thanks! :wink:

For anyone interested in starting a club, seek leaders of other clubs. The clubs would not necessarily have to be organic or even garden clubs, they could be book clubs or clubs such as Toastmasters, Kiwanis, or Rotary Clubs...

My involvement with Toastmasters has been a wonderful experience. It's also a great way to spread the word. Many people express their appreciation for what they learn from my speeches! It's a great organization that teaches leadership as well as communication skills! http://www.toastmasters.org/

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Last edited by Nadine on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 am, edited 25 times in total.
to delete unnecessary text

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:15 pm 
Thanks for posting this!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:01 am 

:D Thanks so much for sharing! Anything close to the Sherman/Denison area?

"eyes"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:11 pm 

Not that I am aware of. I bet there would be some interest, though if you were inclined to form one! Occasionally there are land stewardship lectures at Austin College. I would think there would be a great need for a club there!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:56 pm 

Hi, I live halfway between Buffalo and Jewett, Texas. My area seems bereft of any organic practices. I know of one organic nursery, located in Mexia. Do you have any info on organic gardening groups or resources in my area? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:21 pm 

I do not know. Your best bet would be to ask this of Dwayne Somerville or someone there at the Texas Organic Nursery and Christmas Tree Farm. If not, you could always start one. :)

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:44 pm 

tater wrote:
Hi, I live halfway between Buffalo and Jewett, Texas. My area seems bereft of any organic practices. I know of one organic nursery, located in Mexia. Do you have any info on organic gardening groups or resources in my area? Thanks.

I know it has been a long time since you posted this. I am interested in the organic nursery in Mexia. I am in the Huntsville area and to my knowledge there are few if any organic resources here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 am 

NativeRose wrote:
tater wrote:

I know it has been a long time since you posted this. I am interested in the organic nursery in Mexia. I am in the Huntsville area and to my knowledge there are few if any organic resources here.

I realize it has been a whole since you posted your question regarding the Organic Christmas Tree operation in Mexia. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business. Talk to your local garden sources and ask them if they can get the products for you. Get others to do the same. Help spread the word, it seems to be getting easier to do so with the "green" movement.

Also, look under the business section: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/advance_business_listings.php. This section continues to grow! :)

The Laws of Ecology:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:22 am 

I would like to find or start an Organic Club in the Tulsa OK area or Rogers County.

Could you give me some info on how to go about it? :roll:

I know nothing about starting clubs but am Passionate about Organics 8) :wink:

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:54 am 

Thanks so much for sharing! Anything close to the Sherman/Denison area?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:35 pm 

would like to start an organic club in Irving around Irving Blvd any body else out there interested my e mail is claire101010@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:14 am 

I would like to start a club in the Waxahachie / Ellis County area. I am not that experienced but maybe a MG or someone with a lot of gardening experience could help get this going?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 pm 

Organo Gal wrote:
I would like to find or start an Organic Club in the Tulsa OK area or Rogers County.

Could you give me some info on how to go about it? :roll:

I know nothing about starting clubs but am Passionate about Organics 8) :wink:

Thanks

I did reply in a private message as follows:

Greetings. Please pardon the lengthy delay in my reply, I have had many family obligations to attend to as well as the fact I am now in the workforce again (non volunteer this time)!

All you need is enthusiasm and a friend or two who are as passionate. You can get professors from nearby colleges to come and speak about bugs, botany, whatever. All clubs start out small. The Denton Organic Society has memberships that are $20.00 a year per family, $5.00 for students. You may want to start at a smaller price point to begin. (Denton Organic Society mails out a 4 page newsletter every other month). Go to local farmers markets and let them dknow what you are doing. Contact local retailers of organic products and do the same (The going rate for a business memebership is $40 a year. Being published in the newsletter twice during the year is great advertising at that price)! Find others passionate about it as you are and find out what talents they may have. Maybe someone is good at writing, organizing, etc.
I hope this info is helpful.
You can also spread the word (and possibly build a club) by joining a local Toastmasters group. (Google Toastmasters for locations). I did. I have converted literally hundreds that way. Oh, the first time I ever gave a speech, I was very nervous. Not as nervous now, but still a little nervous, which is a really good thing.
Godspeed!

The Laws of Ecology:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 pm 

Is there an Organic Garden Club in Abilene TX? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:56 am 

good info, thanks for posting!