It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:11 am 

Tell us how long you've been there, what you know about how the property was treated before, and what you've already done yourself? How large is the yard, what is already growing there, and how healthy are the existing plants? What is growing well in your neighborhood?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 pm 

A friend in Virginia spent much of this summer putting up a deer fence around a several acre garden and yard, and is very happy with the results. It is one that is barely visible, they run into it and aren't able to go around or over it.

In the old days I was told that using Ironite made the soil more acid, but that product is not on Howard's list of approved products (as I recall.) Greensand is a source of iron--have you looked into using that amendment in the area you want more acid?

Are you getting ready to put in an azalea garden, or rhody's?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 am 

I'll email my friend and ask for the specs on his fence. The leaping skills of deer are legend, so this is something specially designed to keep them from passing through and jumping over.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:50 am 

I have driven in that area, it is beautiful! Are you having a good pecan crop out there this year?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:32 pm 

I heard from my acquaintance in Virginia. Here is his answer:

Quote:
Our deer fence is from the Benner Fence Company and is the heavy mesh... It is 7 1/2 feet tall and kinda blends in with what is behind it... Obviously, if you are looking down a long row of it it is more visable but if yoou are looking directly at it it tends to go away... You do see the poles, however... If your friend already has a 5 foot fence then he can use his existing poles with some 36 inch "T-stakes" (cheap) to hold the deer fence... What else??? Oh yeah... Seeing as it is hard to see the deer need to be "trained" to know where it is so we tie suveyors tape about every 5 feet which flutters and that allows the dummies to see it... BTW, so far the deer fence is 100% effective for the 6 acres we have fenced in... Gates are a little tricky but I've learned a few tricks there I'd be more than happy to share with your friends...

In his instance, he has about 30 acres that are adjacent to National Forest property in the Luray area of Virginia. Lots and lots of deer. He and his wife do a lot of landscaping work at their home and for a local nursery, so he really needs to keep the deer out. The six acres includes his large vegetable garden. He reported his progress as he put it up, it took a little while, but I remember his glee in reporting seeing deer bounce off of the fence, not sure what they'd run into.