It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NO-LO ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:55 pm 

ok, what is no-lo and where can I get it? Im tired of grasshoppers and I hate "live" chickens (good bbq though). I live in waxahachie on 2.5 acres and the grasshoppers are killing all my trees and shrubs...HELP! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:12 am 

I do not know of a place nearby. Nolo bait is a kaolin clay product. It acts as a kind of shield when sprayed on plants. It is sold under the name Kaolin at
http://www.beorganic.com/view.wga?id=F9MNSS&dbpg=7

If you hate chickens, how do you feel about guineas? They are great for control!
Also see:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/radio.php?id=344

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:19 pm 

I agree with the first post regarding the grasshopper problem. I would have to say that grasshoppers are my single most nightmare during the whole summer!!! :x I try to be organic in my gardening but I will have to admit I've been tempted to spray something for those darned grasshoppers~!!! Does the Kaolin really work???? I'm going to check out the website you have listed. I may have to try and order some of that product. The grasshoppers try to destroy everything in my gardens during the hot summer months.

Thanks so much for posting that link.

Dancey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:52 pm 

The Nolo Bait I bought is a bran product which contains an organism (I think it is a spore from some type of protozoan) called Nosema locustae. It's a microbe, sorry I can't remember which type of microbe, that infects grasshoppers and one species of crickets. It will not be effective if you already have large numbers of adult grasshoppers, but does work well if you treat while the hoppers are still babies. Do go ahead and try it though. If it doesn't do much to the grasshopper population this year, it will have infected some of the adults and will still be present in their offspring. Next year, when the babies are just hatching out, treat again. There's a feed and seed here that sells it, and I would think that other feed stores carry it also, especially if they carry any organic gardening products. Call around, and if you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you a phone number locally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:59 am 

:oops: I made a mistake. Kaolin clay and nolo bait are two different things. What was I thinking?

:arrow: Nolo Bait is a biological pest control that eliminates grasshopper infestations without harming people, plants, or animals. This bait contains a spore, Nosema Locustae, that when injested by the grasshopper, infects it with a deadly desiese unique to grasshoppers and crickets. This spore is contained in a wheat bran.
This bait must be released during the third instar of the grasshopper's life cycle, since this is when the bait will be most effective. Within three to four weeks, about 50% of the grasshopper population will die off. This will be aided by the grasshopper's natural cannibalistic tendencies.
This spore also infects eggs laid by a diseased female.

:!: Kaolin Clay is used in a mixture and sprayed onto all leaf surfaces. The object is to have a white film on the leaf that repels the grasshoppers. This may require more than one application, depending on the concentration of clay in the spray.
I stand corrected.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:04 pm 

I honestly wasn't trying to correct anyone. I just didn't want someone to call and order Nolo bait thinking they were going to get Kaolin. When I first considered using the Nolo, I was concerned because I am a beekeeper, and there is a disease problem with some beehives that beekeepers refer to as "Nosema". I did alot of reading and research about Nolo bait before I would consider using it. Apparently, it is not harmful to bees. The bee disease organism is Nosema apis, as opposed to N. locustae.
I have been using Nolo Bait last year and this year. It has definitely put a big dent in the hopper population, but takes persistence by the gardener because it seems grasshopper hatchings go on for several weeks, so I have done several treatments and spent several dollars, lol. If you have a small place in town, it is well worth the money spent, though. If I didn't have two cats, I would definitely use chickens or guineas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:08 pm 

Your post was very much in order. I would not want anyone to make the mistake, either. I appreciate you calling this to my attention. It is important.
I can see how the cats could have a problem with guineas or vice versa!

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:23 am 

While a cat may deter many songbirds from spending much time in your garden, many domesticated cats are afraid of a defensive chicken. When a chicken spreads its wings, it suddenly becomes twice the size of the cat. Then if the bird charges, cats are often humiliated into retreat. I once had a very agressive cat cowed by a duck. Whenever the duck was out in the yard, the cat was in the house, a tree, or gone over the fence.

I have found that since I have started using organic materials, I have a lot more song birds in the yard (I no longer have a cat and the dog is slowed way down in his golden years). The birds seem to be attracted by the fresh corn meal when I apply that, but I'm sure they are not eating several pounds of it. Even if they were, at least they are manuring as they go along. Plus they are eating grasshoppers, bugs, and things that I never even see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:59 am 

We do have a cat who is a great hunter. He is a manx cat that we found out in the middle of a highway when he was just a baby, and we brought him home. We decided one time to get guineas because they supposedly keep the snake numbers down, and with a live creek running through our property, we have lots of snakes including a fair number of copperheads. The old farmer we bought the guineas from told us "there's no way that cat can kill those guineas". So, we bought 10 guineas and kept them in their pen for a couple of weeks to let them get used to the new place. Well, once we let them out to roam, we noticed every day or two, there would be a guinea missing, and we would find a pile of feathers on the property. That cat killed every one of those guineas, so we won't buy any more until the cat has gone to meet the great cat spirit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:48 am 

He must be a pretty fierce cat, that manx of yours :) . We have 3 outdoor cats. Good mousers. They love the birds and are always trying to catch them by climbing into the trees. So far, I don't think they've been successful. We have about 25 free range chickens and it seems that the cats and the chickens have a mutual agreement to ignore each other. We have friends with guineas and outdoor cats and no problems there either. So generally speaking I think cats and chickens are good yard mates. Of course, there will always be the exceptions to the rule.

I love what the chickens do to the grasshopper population. And the eggs are great too! I'm only worried about grasshoppers in my veggie garden since I have fenced it off to keep the chickens from tearing it up and eating the tomatoes, melons, peppers, squash, etc.

Marlyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:14 pm 

Yeah, he is pretty fierce, and we even had him fixed prior to one year old. He's now 13, and has become much more lovable, but still loves to hunt in the field. A few weeks ago, he came up to the house with a baby bunny. Fortunately, the bunny was okay and we were able to distract the cat's attention and get the bunny away from him and took it to a lady who rehabs baby bunnies and sets them out in the wild. Basically, since he's been here, we haven't had to worry much about critters eating the garden. We also have a sweet female cat who lives out by the garden shed, and she contributes to keeping our mouse population down, but her favorite is birds, so I am concerned about chickens even when our old man cat is gone.