It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: aerobic or anarobic?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 am 

Hi, I am in the middle of all kinds of researches.

I started with aerated compost tea. Many of my sources were actually commercial videos; they were selling their secret mix of yeasts and sugars that, once added to compost and aerated water would make this wondrous brew. So I started to wonder: "Well, what on earth can these microorganisms be? Can't I make my own mix?" And I stumbled into a whole wealth of knowledge, mostly coming from East Asia, on how to get your own Effective Microorganisms from the air, by letting cooked rice rot in the woods, etc. Then I found out that lactobacillus is also amazing as foliar spray etc.
Right now I am brewing my concoction of ginger, neem powder, kefir starter, whey, pineapple, turmeric and other things to make a foliar spray that is both medicinal and nutritious. These fizzy substances are to be brewed for at least 5 days in air tight containers and then diluted 1:500.
So, I wanted to dilute mine into my tank of water where I do my aerated compost tea when the dilemma surfaced: which is it then, aerobic or anaerobic?
I know that by aerating the compost tea, I provide oxygen to the good bacteria and they prevail over the smelly, bad bacteria for my plants; that's why you spray AACT within one hour after you stop aerating.
But all these other plant extracts and good fungi I've read about are anaerobic, yet they are supposed to be sprayed onto the foliage and coat it. Wouldn't it die right away in the presence of oxygen? I am quite confused at this point. Which is it?

Post subject: Re: aerobic or anarobic?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:50 am 

I guess it's too new or unknown a subject. Well, thanks anyway. I'll look for a forum in the pages I've visited about this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 pm 

I don't know how anaerobic organisms could be beneficial, as Oxygen is lethal to them? I also don't understand how a claim of "living aerobic (beneficial)organisms" can be made in a sealed container? I almost challenge the use of the term "Compost Tea" product when I see it on a nursery shelf, online or etc. If the lid is on, the major benefit of the "tea" (Beneficial Organisms) is lost.

If somebody has proof otherwise, please enlighten :).

I keep my vermicompost tea oxygenated.
www.txwormranch.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:11 am 

Well, I wrote Gil Carandang in person (very interesting stuff, make your own research) and he reminded me that lactobacillus belongs to a category of bacteria called facultative, meaning they can live with or without oxygen.

Duh!!! I am surprised nobody remembered it here either, though.
I guess it really is a very new approach, although it uses nothing new at all. All organic and biodynamic gardening is based on how alive the soil is with microbes. Just nobody focuses on capturing and raising them other than by composting.