It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:06 am 

First, I do have Mr. Garrett's book on organic vegetable gardening in Texas and refer to it often. My herbs are going on their fourth year, peppers have done well annually, okra and tomatoes okay. Now it's time to expand the garden. I'm digging out/ tilling up black clay and mixing 50% of it w/ Garret's soil mix to a depth of 18 to 24 inches, plus raising the beds about 6 inches. Living in Plano, I have a few questions:
1. While digging in the clay about 16 inches down, I've run across a 6" or so thick seam of caliche in some areas. I assume this should all be thrown out.
2. This clay obviously does not drain well. Squash and zucchini planted in the new beds all died immediately following last week's rain. Is it because of overwatering? What to do?
3. A few of the jalapenos have small bored holes and have dropped off. What is this and how to control? I have sprayed with Garrett Juice mixed with orange oil. I did make my own juice with home made compost tea and the other ingredients called for.
4. A lot of my tomatoes have cat face. I've read what causes this and think I've done the right things: consistent moisture, side dressing and pruning leaves. Maybe I'm just impatient?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:15 am 

I don't think you should be removing anything but adding compost snd some of the other ammendments Howard recommends for growing vegetables. I'm not sure, by your comments if you have done that or not.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:16 pm 

A have removed caliche, rubble and some really hard clay Should I keeo the caliche, break it up and mix it in? Any advice on my squash question?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 am 

I wouldn't remove anything, just add the ammendments recommended. If you planted your squash directly in the clay, then you're right, it doesn't drain well at all. I would add your compost etc and start again with your fall plantings.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan