It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 am 

I am going to be planting some trees this winter in a small front yard that has no trees at all. There is a small water meter around the area I wanted to plant my shade tree. I know there is a water line there, and if I planted to the left of it, then I would be in between the water line and the sewage line. If I planted the the right, then I might be way too close to my neighbors yard. So for the questions: 1) How far from the pipes do I plant. 2) Would tree roots even hurt an existing pipe? 3) Has any one else been in the same boat that could tell me what they did? Thanx, Ethan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 pm 

Bump :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:44 am 

It is definitely possible, but it usually takes a long time. 6 feet away from irrigation pipes, heads, and wires is a good rule of thumb I use both when installing irrigation systems or planting trees.

We end up having to do a lot of valve, head, and pipe repairs when a tree root has grown around and eventually broken a part of the system.

However, as far as straight pipes, it's very rare we see cracks develop from tree roots. It's normally at a glued corner or "T" joint.

Hope that helps!

Dotdirt Organic Landscapes,
www.dotdirt.com
Garland, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:54 pm 

Thank you. I don't have an irrigation system just strait pipe all the way to the street. One water and the other sewer. But the water pipe is right where I wanted to plant. It's a new home, so probably pvc?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:42 am 

It can be PVC or the Blue or black Quest pipe, which is thicker and really flexible. I have always been more concerned about breaking the pipe with a shovel while planting a tree or shrub. When we encounter pipes, we never move our landscape too much. Usually we slice a groove in the root ball and plant it right on the pipe.

A straight run of pipe maintains a lot of flexibility, and the roots grow around it all over the yard. If I had a valve or head, I would definitely try to plant a good 6 feet away. With what you're dealing with: I wouldn't change a thing.

www.dotdirt.com
Garland, TX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 pm 

Thanx alot Mitchell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 pm 

Just something to think about... we have an oak about 10 years old in our front yard, planted about 6 feet from the sewer line. The roots of the tree totally crushed our sewer line, and succeeded in blocking it completely off where our sewer line meets the city line under the street.

Three weeks and almost $4000 later we were finished with all the upheaval those tree roots caused.

Although I LOVE trees, this one is soon to be ancient history. We'd much rather have a sewer line that works! AND lasts the life of the house.

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 am 

I tend to agree with you on the danger of sewer lines. We've seen disastrous results if the sewer lines are the iron ones. Tree roots grow right through them. I'd be surprised with PVC if there was much of a danger.

However: It's a lot easier to re route a water feed line than it is a non pressurized sewer line that has to have a straight run.

BTW, I love your fridge magnet quote!

www.dotdirt.com
Garland, TX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:40 am 

Hello,

I agree with your point through your information I even 6 feet away from irrigation pipes, are used in my plant.

Thanks to u..