It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Want to Set Up Worm Farm
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 pm 

Does anyone have experience in setting up a worm farm so I can use the worm castings in my garden? I hear the coir is a good medium, but don't have the know-how to start. Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51 pm 

The worm beds can be set up with a layer of organic compost--from your own bins or a commercial compost. Make sure the compost is no longer "hot". This will be the layer that the worms eat in, lay cocoons in, and generally live in. On top of this layer, you will want a bedding layer. This can be brown leaves from your yard, straw, shredded cardboard or strips of newspaper--but whatever you use needs to be kept moist. To feed the worms, you will pull back the bedding layer and place chopped fruit and veggie waste under the bedding and on top of the compost layer. Cover the food back up with the bedding layer to reduce fruit fly invasion.

The entire depth of compost and bedding should be between 8-12 inches. Be sure to add a handful of sand and let the bin sit for about a week before adding worms so the microbes will be working before the worms start their important job.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:55 pm 

Thank you, WormRancher! One last question. Once it is time to add the worms, do you lay them on TOP of the bedding or BETWEEN the bedding and compost layer where the fruits/vegs have been composting? I want to do this right. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am 

monkeydo56 wrote:
Does anyone have experience in setting up a worm farm so I can use the worm castings in my garden? I hear the coir is a good medium, but don't have the know-how to start. Thanks for any advice!

If you live in tx i would weight its to hot right now. They will live but don't do real good in this heat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:00 am 

Nothing much seems to do well in our Texas heat!! Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll wait until September to start. Can the worm beds go through Texas winters into the spring?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:37 am 

monkeydo56 wrote:
Nothing much seems to do well in our Texas heat!! Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll wait until September to start. Can the worm beds go through Texas winters into the spring?

yes they do real good. I started mine last sept with 1lb of worms. I now have 3, 50 gal bins. I also have 6 -55 gal compost barrels when i clean worm bins i put castings & worms in the barrels they do just fine. also get some rabbits take droppings make compost tea then put droppings in worm bin they love it instant compost. worm bins need good ventilation drainage,and water , like a wet sponge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 am 

jjford,,,,,,you say you use 55 gal drums for worm bins. how do you use them? what kind of configuration of the barrells have you come up with?

thanks!

marty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 am 

mudsprings wrote:
jjford,,,,,,you say you use 55 gal drums for worm bins. how do you use them? what kind of configuration of the barrells have you come up with?

thanks!

marty

i use the55 gal plastic barrels for compost bin. i use 50 gal bins for worms made by Rubbermaid you can get some cheaper ones at dollar store but there not as heavy duty