It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:36 pm 

i live in west tarrant county texas and currently have sticker grass all over my backyard. ive been straight digging it out but is there anything else organic i could do. my kids are afraid to go in the yard and play.

and eventually (hopefully this fall if i can get the money) i want to put in buffalo grass. anyone know of a place where i can get sod? im not messing with seed. and what's this turffalo im seeing on the side banner?

thanks
jillian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:29 am 

Stickers are there because you have not watered since October of 2007 when the drought began. Stickers only grow in poorly kept soil. If you started watering and fertilizing today, it would be gone quickly. Of course the stickers themselves would still be there but the plants would die out. If you want to get rid of the stickers, get some remnants of carpet, lay them upside down on the stickers, walk all over them, carefully pick them up, and throw them away. Repeat until you are satisfied they are all gone. Many fabrics will do but carpet is good for keeping your feet away from the stickers.

Turffalo is the name of a company. Their variety of buffalo grass is called Tech Turf. It is an incredible variety of buffalo grass. I like it because it is a natural green color and the (brown) seed heads grow at exactly the same rate as the grass itself. Most grass looks shaggy when the seed heads jump up above the grass itself. Tech Turf doesn't do that. Also it is cool because it seems to tolerate being mowed down to 3/4 inch or up around 4 inches. I've never seen another grass do that. The only drawback is that you have to have full sun for Tech Turf. If you have a fence, tree, building, bush, or mailbox anywhere between the grass and the horizon, you'll have some trouble with any buffalo grass. Tech Turf was developed at Texas Tech by the Turffalo company.