It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: AG CrabGrass Killer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garden Weasel AG recommends the use of CrabGrass Killer on weeds in St. Augustine, Common Bermuda, Bahia & Centipede grasses because it causes very little reaction on them and is selective in only killing the weed. On-line purchasers are using the product in other parts of the country even though it may be non-selective in that region. From your experience, please REPLY if you've heard, or seen, of successful application of Garden Weasel AG Crabgrass Killer on other grass types; or other areas of the yard. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: AG CrabGrass Killer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am 

That product is made from baking soda, cinnamon, and a few other spices that make it look like a cake recipe gone bad. According to the container the cinnamon is the active ingredient. However, according to other sources in Florida, the active ingredient is really the baking soda.

With that in mind, I posted a challenge on another forum for someone to try it. One guy went beyond the call of duty and posted pictures of his results. They were spectacular! In a St Augustine lawn, the crabgrass turned black and died overnight leaving the St Aug 90% untouched. The next day all the crabgrass looked like straw and was laying flat on the ground. I was expecting good results but not that good. :shock: :shock:

The approach I suggested for applying it was to start by learning how to wet the surface of the crabgrass blades. Crabgrass blades repel water but with soap and molasses, they can be wetted. The guy used 2-tsp of soap, 1-tsp of molasses, and 2-cups of water. Then I suggested putting the baking soda into a sock as an applicator. After spraying the crabgrass, he applied the baking soda by beating the sock between his hands. This technique allows only the lightest dusting of baking soda. When the moisture dried the crabgrass was frosty looking with baking soda. Then in two days it had turned black and wasted away!!