It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:08 pm 

This was last year - those brown spots have healed, but over on the other side of the shrub facing the house, there is a huge spot. If anyone has an idea of what it is and how to heal the plant let me know. Thanks

Attachments:
death.jpg
death.jpg [ 23.28 KiB | Viewed 166092 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:25 pm 

It looks like a red-tipped photentia. They often get fungal diseases, and are not recommended planting. It looks like they may be planted close to the house and it gets run off from the house? Also, they want to be about 15ft tall or more so keeping it cut way, way back will stress the plant even more. Go to the library link on the left side and make your way to red tip photenia, or just photenia to see the various suggestions from Howard.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:42 pm 

This defintely is not a red-tipped photentia. I have several of those around the yard and they are doing just fine.
http://www.louisiananursery.com/images/ ... otinia.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:04 am 

OK, then I cannot tell by the picture you have posted.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:07 am 

It appears to me to be a Golden Euonymus. This plant is reverting back to parent green variety, they do this quite often. It is VERY prone to scale, look for tiny white dots on the stems and leaves. All season oil spray will rid you of this pest for now. Powdery mildew can also be a problem.

The main problem here is an ill-adapted plant that has been trimmed WAY too much and is now dying back. My best suggestion is to remove this guy and re-plant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:45 am 

Here is a little bigger picture for reference.
It (and the same one to the right of it across the sidewalk) are a little bit bigger now (this was 3 years ago). So you are saying they are never supposed to get this big? I guess the owner didnt keep them trimmed once they put the house on the market.
The shrub on the left has been recently pulled. And all the shrubs to the right of the picture are halfway dead because of a big oak tree giving them too much shade. Ill see if I can find a picture of that.

Attachments:
bigger.jpg
bigger.jpg [ 118.92 KiB | Viewed 165993 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:29 am 

What I am saying is that they can get 10' tall!
Pruning like this makes me crazy. Trying to keep a 10' plant to a size this small will eventually weaken ( you are there now) then make it more susceptable to insect and disease. Which is mother natures way of thinning out the weak. Pruning like a bunch of little basket balls is never a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:03 pm 

Ok I like your thinking then. These plants have gotten huge quick (and pruning them is just about deadly to them). If I want them to survive, I assume Ill need to continue to let them grow... then again, ill have a jungle in front of my house. Maybe next year Ill rip everything that the previous owners planted out and go with smaller ones (if you have any recommendations for something SMALL let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:12 pm 

Here is a big picture on the other side of the house. 3 years ago before i bought the house. The plants are about the same size as of today (maybe a little bigger). You can see the oak tree shading the entire group of plants in the morning and afternoon (which has grown even bigger, shading the plants even more).

Attachments:
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg [ 233.57 KiB | Viewed 165946 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:40 pm 

If your plants are 3 years older then it is even more important to apply Howards sick tree treatment to them. But even the best organic program cannot help ill-adapted plants. by the way, the silver looking plants are also euonymus. Not quite sure on the others.. if the shade is 3 years down the road then you have more problems. I suggest you get a good designer out there and redo your landscape.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:54 pm 

There is one other plant, behind the oak tree you cant see... that have leaves similar to that of a typical christmas tree. I forgot the name, though. They seem to be doing just great.
The broken accent lights (whatever you want to call them - that sit on the ground under the plants) are all removed - when I moved in, wires were exposed, lights broken, obviously not taken care of. When I moved in I was bored and bought a 100 dollar pack of those solar lights. That was a worthless investment, since the tree just shades the ability to charge the lights anyway. So after charging the batteries, i got about a week of light, then that was it.
Also if you notice the red rocks around the oak tree - I have taken those and the round bricks surrounding them out. The same rocks (lava rocks I guess they are) are all around the shrubs. Its one big ground full of rock. Also notice the red bricks that sit vertical into the ground around the plants. I guess those were leftovers from when the house was built.
Red lava rocks - good for plants? Or does it matter. I would think something a little more natural would do better. Maybe lava rocks come with not so helpful chemicals inside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:27 am 

You're tree is too deep also. You need to have someone expose the root flare.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:12 pm 

You actually do have a red tipped photinia on the right corner, reaching up for the gutters....

Your lava rock works fine, definitely isn't harming anything, it's just terrible to keep the weeds out of after a period of time.

Ditto on the basketball row trimming. There's no need to keep the variegated euonymous encroaching your sidewalk entryway. Your easiest and least expensive move would be to rip em out, and add a couple of flats of color or some bright perennials like scabiosa and victoria blue salvia mixed with blackeyed susan daisies and new gold lantana.

You might google "hot lips" red salvia, too. It has red and white blooms simultaneously that look like candy canes in the air, with a very tough plant that usually doesn't even die back all the way in the winter.

Just some thoughts,
Good luck.

Dotdirt Organic Landscapes,
www.dotdirt.com
Garland, TX