It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:20 am 

How can I kill a tree (in this particular case a hackberry) that is growing in the middle of my fig tree? The hackberry has been cut down before, but is now about 5 feet tall. Also, my front flower beds are now empty except for lots of very vigorous native persimmon trees. Is there any way to get rid of them without the use of poison? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:22 pm 

Yes, there is- and they all involve a chainsaw.

I've a gardener friend that loves hackberry trees. I don't personally care for them. Those little galls it gets on the leaves seemingly no matter what you go look awful in my opinion.

I have cut two of them down. Just cut them as low as you can, then grind the stump up.

Those persimmon trees, are we talking full grown or little saplings? A good weed killer that won't kill everything in sight (you know, like the stuff you spray on one plant and everyhting within a meter of it dies in a week) is 20% acidity vinegar. Works best if used with just a touch of orange oil and some soap to help it stick. Spray on a plant you want dead, and avoid spraying surrounding plants/grass. You get the best results of done on a hot day, especially in direct sun.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm 

I don't know how i would be able to grind the stump of the hackberry, since it is in the middle of the large old fig tree.

The persimmons are about 2 to 3 ft. tall. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:23 am 

Ah, I had taken your earlier description to mean the growth was intertwined above and the trunks were adjacent.

If a stump cannot be ground up, you can drill deep holes in it (an auger bit works best) and bury the stump in compost with plenty of sugar/molasses in it. Keep it moist, it'll rot the stump quickly.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:37 pm 

Thanks for the information. Sorry I haven't had a chance to read the forum lately. I hope I described it correctly. The hackberry is right in the middle of the fig. Drilling the holes would not be a problem--but if I pile mulch around it would the sugar/molasses also be a problem as far as the fig trunks are concerned? Or were you saying to put the molasses just in the holes of the hackberry?