It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Newly planted vegetables
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:10 pm 

Apparently the birds like my newly planted vegetables & peck holes in them! Can I use floating row cover over these vegetables even though it's hotter than blazes outside??? I've covered my blackberries & raspberries with net I got from WalMart, but it's not easy to cover the entire garden. Quite frankly, I'm tired of replanting my vegetable garden, and apparently it's the birds that peck & eat my young vegetable plants. Help!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:01 pm 

I put big pinwheels around any ripening fruit (from a dollar type store). I've seen others hanging Christmas balls and icicles. Moving a fake snake around your plants is fun too--especially as you rototill it up and give yourself a heart attack before the next season.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:16 am 

I love your humor!!!! I looked but could not find those whirly gigs (pinwheels) that you are talking about; and I do have those plastic snakes. Hadn't thought about them. Thanks for the help. I'll keep trying. Food prices are going to skyrocket, so I really need to grow my own! Never had this much trouble before. I'll keep trying!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:31 am 

try hanging cds around the garden too. They scare the birds away with the flashes of sunlight they reflect.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:53 am 

ok, I'm thoroughly discouraged. Apparently it isn't the birds attacking my vegetable plants. From 2004 - 2008 my garden was to be envied. The office personnel and neighbors love me. I had bushes instead of plants, cantaloupes that required 2 hands to hold even one, tomatoes & okra coming out the kazoo. Last year I agreed to try a soil enhancer from Nature's Creation. I got plants instead of bushes, what didn't die. The ONLY thing I did different was to use that soil enhancer. this year I did the usual (by that I mean using ALL the organic amendments) plus Zeolite to try to soak up that soil enhancer. As I stated earlier, I've had to replant my garden several times simply because the plants died. Two of my 3 tomato bushes are beginning to grow (here it is June 8!!!), my cucumber PLANT is doing ok, but the other one died (I always get at least 2 of each plant), my okra plants (3 of them) maybe will grow, and the cantaloupe plants - well, they're still deciding whether to grow or not. Ok, I have got EXCELLENT soil, especially in that garden! I've put Thrive on the garden twice (as per Mr. Garrett's instructions; couldn't afford that Landscape mix he suggested), water regularly, use Garrett Juice as a drench, use Plant Wash as a preventive, but still no produce! Then I made the mistake of peeking through the fence boards to the neighbor to the east, and his idea of taking care of the soil is SCALPING the yard whenever the weeds get too high and the homeowner's association writes him. The wife has planted a garden for the first time which has tomato plants and it looks like cantaloupe plants. They are thriving! Weeds are coming through the garden area, I can't remember when they watered, and yet these plants are producing!!!! Thanks to them, I have bindweed (I have found it coming through the fence to get to my yard, and I have great soil!!!). The only thing about the bindweed is that it has no plants or weeds in the neighbor's yard to curl around so it comes to my backyard and curls itself up my plants.

What am I doing wrong?????