It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:57 am 

Ok, I know that growing Garlic should NOT be hard, so maybe I'm making it hard than it should be. I planted cloves in full sun. I don't even know what TYPE of garlic it was, because it was just from the store, not a garden center. So, maybe it's a hybrid and that's the problem. BUT, the problem is that the clove just got BIGGER, and didn't make more pods. They got tall and pretty, but it's more like an onion now than garlic, as there's still only one clove. What could have happened?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 am 

When did you plant the clove? It takes up to 180 days to harvest the new bulb...could it be you didn't wait long enough?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 am 

I believe I planted them in October. The homesteading book I have said when the leaves start turning brown, stop watering them, and when the stalks are brown, pull them up. So, maybe the stalks weren't quite dry enough yet. October would be 7 months. Wouldn't that be long enough?

If it was a hybrid variety I got from the grocery store, could that be the problem?

Oh, well, I'll see if there's such thing as heirloom and try again this year. Still have some in the ground, so I guess I'll wait longer and see what happens. Will keep posted...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:12 am 

It's probably the garlic itself. It may have been treated, or it's old or it's a variety that doesn't grow well here. Next time, try seeds or get them from a local nursery.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:17 am 

On the same subject, but different question. I know where garlic has been growing wild for at least 30 yrs maybe longer. Each year, I pull one or two plants for the garlic. Is it possible to transplant some of it, or does garlic just reseed itself? It's where an old farmhouse use to be and the area is becoming developed and I would like to get some of it started growing closer to my house, before everything is gone.

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 am 

That's a good question I'd like to know the answer to as well. The homesteading book I got my garlic information from (that stated to pull it when the stalks are brown) also said that garlic does not "store" in the ground like onions do, that it will rot. But if this is the case...why can it grow year after year? Is it rotten, or is this just not the kind of garlic you'd eat?? I don't get it. I was under the impression garlic would be pretty much fool proof, but I seem to make things harder than they have to be apparently!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:35 am 

If you let the stalk bloom, it should reseed itself. And you are correct that you can't keep garlic in the ground which is why you see the long braids of garlic for sale. It's a good way to store them if you harvest a bunch at a time.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:22 pm 

Anybody know what varieties to plant here in the Dallas area? I am tired of only finding garlic grown in China at the grocery. Since we go through a couple of heads a week, think we better make space in the garden and grow our own and make sure it is safe for my family to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 am 

Texas white and elephant according to Howard's book

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:55 pm 

I found the "Texas WHite" answer yesterday after I posted the question. We like something with a little more bite than elephant garlic, so...after quite a bit of research on-line I haven't found a Texas White varietal for sale. Anybody know of an organic bulb grower that would sell these? I would like to grow between 100-150 bulbs. Just call us "scared of vampires", haha. Between our love of Italian, Asian and Latin/Mexican cooking, we use a lot of garlic!