It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:09 pm 

I discovered a web site today that I've taken time to poke through and find it very useful. The images and questions come in from all over North America (and a few Euro questions as well). Since the Dirt Doctor radio program is expanding to other U.S. cities, this site might be useful for bugs in non-Texas locations.

The site is called What's That Bug? and it is where I found that the large beetle in my back yard last year was an Eyed Elator (Alaus zuniatus). Howard has this one covered--it is the click beetle on page 44 of his Texas Bug Book.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ I hope you find this helpful and interesting!

Northwesterner

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 pm 

I'm happy to see that all of these years later this bug site is still up and running! This is a stumble upon moment, as I'm poking through old threads looking for answers to this year's garden pest questions.

Meanwhile, I'll mention an interview with bug information I heard this week. The program is Terry Gross' Fresh Air, a National Public Radio (NPR) program, heard locally in the Dallas/Fort Worth area on 90.1 KERA-FM. On Monday, May 4, 2009, she interviewed Douglas Emlen, a professor of biology, his field is entomology. The program is called The Fascinating World of the Dung Beetle, and it is just that, fascinating.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103775784

There is a photo gallery associated with the link also. There are some very interesting stories about working in the field as well as information about how important these insects are and just how they work.