It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:47 pm 

I have a Bermuda yard that I have gone organic with. I have added corn gluten, lava sand, and molasses. I have 4 yards of compost to go down over it. Unfortunately I have these clumps of grass looking stuff growing and I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it short of pulling it by hand. I have some pictures of the stuff but they're too big to post. This stuff grows in clumps and looks like a grass. The tops about 3 inches long are going to seed even though I just mowed it 3 days ago. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, should I aeriate the yard before the compost goes down. I always mulch the clippings back in the yard.

Attachments:
File comment: Picture of grass
Grass.jpg
Grass.jpg [ 54.17 KiB | Viewed 141027 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:42 pm 

Although I don't have bermuda, I've been reading a LOT about it on this site while learning about lawn management.

You don't mention how you're mowing. I understand that bermuda does best -- and crowds out most anything else as it becomes more lush -- when it's mowed to a height of 1/2".

If you're already doing that, check out the "Weed Control" topic in the Library on this site. The formula for organic weed control is listed there.

Note: make sure you buy 10% vinegar from the garden supply or feed store, not the distilled vinegar that comes from the grocery store.
They are very different from each other.

Happy weeding!
Cara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:18 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I am mowing the bermuda as low as my Toro will go which is between 1/2 and 1". I look into the weed control you suggested.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:44 pm 

It appears to be poa annua or annual meadowgrass. It runs rampant almost everywhere. It will die out by the hottest part of summer but not before covering your lawn with seeds for next year. The best way out now is pulling it out, carefully, and tossing it. Pull as much as you can every day. You have to keep after it for a year or two to get it all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:18 pm 

If it is an annual that re-seeds itself, wouldn't corn gluten meal applied at the right time take care of it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 pm 

CGM, in theory, should work. In practice it never worked for me, but your mileage may vary.