It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Erosion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 pm 

Hello,

I have a sewer inlet behind my back fence. Open field back there so no neighbors to worry about. Anyway, the pitch of the ground under my back fence leading to the sewer inlet is such that the dirt surrounding my fence posts have washed out and left my fence with a serious lean. If we're talking about an area that is f4 feet long, roughly 8 feet wide and a depth of about 6 feet, what would anyone suggest to address the offending erosion? Would gravel covered in topsoil be a waste of time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: Erosion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:37 am 

There are a few things that we might not know, or simply can not yet fully visualize.

Where is the eroding soil going ?....onto your land or off of your land ? It sounds like the erosion is affecting two adjacent properties, your's and....who else's ?
Who is responsible for the maintenance of this sewer/utility pipe ? What do you mean by "sewer inlet" ? Is this perhaps part of a street-water catch-basin system ?

If this sewer inlet is publically-owned as a municipal (utility) service then it ought be obvious that the other party has an obligation to retain surface soils and prevent any such erosion. Take a photo of this situation and go to that department office and show the folks there !

Post subject: Re: Erosion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:58 pm 

If you can raise the soil level on your property, the water will run around to the edges of the property. Can you control the water flow like that?