It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Melon light
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm 

Just curious. I have heard that full sun consist of just really 4 hours a day?? Is this true? If so, is this true for melons as well. We have a nice place to plant, but my husband says it needs sun from morning to night. It gets full sun from sun up till around 4-5, I say that this is plenty. Am I right?
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Melon light
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 am 

I would think from sun up till 5pm is enough but that's far longer than 4 hours of sun. I would not consider 4 hrs of sun "full sun".

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: Re: Melon light
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:18 am 

* Full Sun: At least 6 full hours of direct sunlight. Many sun lovers enjoy more than 6 hours per day, but need regular water to endure the heat.

* Partial Sun / Partial Shade: These 2 terms are often used interchangeably to mean 3 - 6 hours of sun each day, preferably in the morning and early afternoon.

- However if a plant is listed as Partial Sun, greater emphasis is put on its receiving the minimal sun requirements.

- If a plant is listed as Partial Shade, the plant will need some relief from the intense late afternoon sun, either from shade provided by a nearby tree or planting it on the east side of a building.

* Dappled Sun: Dappled sunlight is similar to partial shade. It is the sun that makes its way through the branches of a deciduous tree. Woodland plants and underplantings prefer this type of sunlight over even the limited direct exposure they would get from partial shade.

* Full Shade: Less than 3 hours of direct sunlight each day, with filtered sunlight during the rest of the day. Full shade does not mean no sun. There aren't many plants, except mushrooms, that can survive in the dark.