It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:08 pm 

I am giving this as general a title as possible, because after scanning several pages and trying a search, I don't find a thread already running to do with ordering seeds.

Today on the program I heard a call about ordering garbanzo beans, also called chick peas. I hadn't heard the first call during the program, apparently this was followup. I hopped on the Internet and Googled around and found that by searching the scientific name (Cicer arietinum) I had a hit near the top of the page. Since it was near the end of the program I called it in, only to realize a few minutes later that the place I had located has a note about not being able to ship to the U.S. now. They're in British Columbia, Canada.

They offer links to two U.S. companies and I checked them out. Both of these sites offer chick peas in packets, and the second one offers bulk seed also. I sent a note to the info@dirtdoctor.com address, but I'll post it here also and maybe when other seed needs or discoveries come along, they'll get posted here.

Quote:
If there had been time to actually READ the web site before I called to report about it, I'd have found the note that says they (Salt Spring Seeds) can't ship to the U.S. now due to regulations. They do offer links for searchers to two sites in the U.S.

Bountiful Gardens (http://www.bountifulgardens.org/) offers the seeds in packs of 100 "tan garbanzo bean" for $1.95. They're out of Willits, California.

Fedco Seeds (http://www.fedcoseeds.com/index.htm) lists "Black Kabouli Garbanzo Bean" (same scientific name) in bulk sizes in addition to packets. They're out of Waterville, Maine.

I hope that caller from Crowley thinks to visit the web page and notices these links.

Post subject: Re: Seeds.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 am 

Thank you for the information!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:38 am 

Rather than make the thread title so specific to garbanzo bean seeds, can you edit to say something like "Mail order seed source" so more people than those wanting chick peas might visit it? I was aiming for a general thread, not specific to one plant when I started it, but I seem to have overshot that title and was too general with that name. :)

I picked through the seed packets at my local nursery this weekend and find that the varieties of plants they carry are both spotty and rather arbitrary. Mail order is definitely a way to get the types you want to begin with.