It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:32 am 

It looks like our last lacebark elm has contracted cotton root rot.

When our first lacebark elm got the disease, I saw white patches on the ground surrounding the trunk within a 10 foot circle. When we contacted our tree service, it was recommended that the tree be removed. Following that loss, the two 8-year old Mexican plums which were understory to that tree started to sag and lean toward our neighbor's house and we had to have them removed.

I am heartstruck that we may lose the last remaining large tree in our backyard. There is only one white spot on the ground at this time. Is there nothing that can be done? Is it because of poor drainage, or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:05 am 

Are you quite certain that these are in fact Lacebark Elms? They are normally quite well adapted here and cotton root rot normally only appears on poorly-adapted trees like the Siberian Elm.

In any case, Howard had this to say on the subject:

'The best preventative is healthy soil with a balance of nutrients and soil biology. Adding sulfur to the soil at 5 pounds per 1,000 square feet annually will help. Do annual soil tests and stop when enough sulfur is in the soil. Products that contain sodium will sometimes help. Cornmeal and living organism products will also help. The Sick Tree Treatment is the best solution. '

This may do the trick, especially if it's just the one spot so far.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:23 pm 

Unfortunately, lacebark elms are highly susceptible to cotton root rot. The mentioned treatment is fine and the entire Sick Tree Treatment willl also help. I got tricked into using lacebarks early on because they grew so well in East Dallas. They have the most difficulty in black soil where cotton once grew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:17 am 

Well, as the man said- live and learn.

Mine haven't had issues, but I don't thiink my land has ever been used for cotton growing.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:20 am 

Thanks for the input. I'll give the sulfur and "sick tree treatment" an honest try. When will I know if it has been successful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:37 pm 

Just watch and wait.

Look for the patches on the ground to disappear. Look for the tree's health to improve, maybe add some healthy new growth. Most of all look for the disease to not progress.