It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:11 pm 

Hello, I recently rescued 2 dogs. I have never had a dog before and am learning everything as I go. My yard is looks like a poop mine field and constanly picking up the poop is not always possible. Is there something that I can treat my yard with on a regular basis that will help to decompose the poop faster as well as help with the smell? FYI, I currently treat my yard with Greenlight Yardsafe to repel fleas etc..and my dogs are tick, flea and mite free.

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:13 pm 

I noticed a real difference when we switched to Muenster dog food, but about the only advice I can give is to pick it up daily. We have two large breed puppies now and it is almost overwhelming if not picked up daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:26 am 

A premium dog food like Muenster is key. Be sure to continue with the basic organic program, especially adding dry or liquid molasses 2-3 times a year to increase microbial activity. A light layer of a fine screened compost (1/4 inch) over the grass may help as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 pm 

Assuming you are fully organic, the poop should decompose in 4 days. At least mine does.
  • Day 1: Fresh poop is visited by flies.
  • Day 2: Poop is covered with pill bugs (rolly polies or whatever you call them)
  • Day 3: Poop has changed shape. It looks more relaxed :lol: If you step on it at this point, it will not stick to your shoe. The fly eggs have probably hatched and the larvae processed the poop in their own way.
  • Day 4: If you did not know where to look, you might not be able to find it. It will have melted down and only be visible from above.
  • Day 5: It should be completely invisible at this point.

One problem with my experience versus yours, I don't give my dog deworming meds every month, especially in the winter. The deworming meds are not good for the insects that visit the poop and could possibly negate all I have said.