It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm 

Our cattle ranch is between Comanche and Hamilton and would like to apply molasses and compost to 50-100 acres. I cannot find a company that provides this service in our area. Also, what is involved in being certified as providing organic Angus beef? Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:03 am 

Try the Organic Businesses directory on the home page. If that doesn't work, pm me and I can give you some recommendations.
I can also help you with the organic beef question but I need much more information.
Tony M

Post subject: molasses
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:39 am 

i bought molasses by the gallon at basspro after deer season, and mixed it with compost tea and sprayed it on my pastures. at $8 a gallon it is fairly reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:19 am 

Look for a farm co-op. The one in New Braunfels sells molasses for roughly $0.10 to $0.15 per pound depending on the going rate. A gallon costs just over a dollar if you bring your own container. Look for a co-op in your area. One gallon per acre should be good.

For acreage I would suggest spraying compost tea. Betsy Ross, just north of Austin, sprays 200 gallons per day to her ranch (500 acres). She sprays every corner of the place four times per year, so she has to spray every day of the year to cover it all. You can put the molasses in the tea if you want to. Do you have a 25-gallon ag sprayer for the back of your Gator yet? Replace the nozzle with a #20 nozzle (giant hole) and aim it downward at a steel plate at a 45 degree angle. The steel will cause the spray to fan out. The giant nozzle will allow you to spray it fast. It takes a little getting used to but you can do it fast with that setup. Oh and filter the compost going into the tea so that everything will flow through the nozzle.