It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mesquite Control
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:31 pm 

:?: I own 33 acres in central Texas. The land was once cleared 30 years ago but now mesquites have taken over. Is there any way to organically kill the small trees? I have root plowed most of the land, however there are areas around other trees which I cannot root plow.

Post subject: Sorry,....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:13 am 

Sorry, I think that the only organic solution is a chainsaw!

banot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:38 am 

I've heard goats will eat small mesquite. Can't confirm it but if you put enough goats on a small enough area, won't they eat everything? I'm thinking of a shock treatment of 175 goats on one acre :shock: . Move them every 24 hours. Then in 33 days your land will look like the surface of the moon and be ready for planting or let it return to prairie for another 30 years. They'll need fresh water on every acre, every day. Then get the animals off the property because that stocking rate cannot be maintained.

Or if you decide to keep goats, you could reduce the number to about 30 for a long term rotation. I would keep the paddock size down to an acre and try to hold them there for a full week. These numbers depend on your rainfall, grass coverage, and grass quality. At first you might need to feed supplemental, but later you should get 100% grass coverage. And with 32 week recovery period, you should have some serious tonnage of grass when the goats walk in to each pasture. Hopefully the grass will eventually be enough that you can eliminate your outside feed bill. Then you have to consider whether you want to add goats or slow down the movement so they eat all the grass each time in each pasture. This kind of extended and controlled animal rotation should keep your land in prairie condition.

I've also heard that once they cleared the mesquite out of the Hill Country that left enough water and room for the cedars (juniper) to move in. Can't confirm that one either.

I've also heard people say they'd much rather have mesquite than cedar. Are you sure you're asking for what you really want?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:32 am 

Goats and donkey's, both normal and miniature, will eat all of those trees. I would recommend the donkey approach, unless you are willing to tolerate a goats disposition. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:27 pm 

Another thing. I've heard that the Texas Hillcountry that is now covered with cedar (juniper) was once cleared of mesquite. Are you sure you want to trade one problem for another?

What do you ultimately want to do with the land? Maybe we should be concentrating on the goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:58 pm 

Point well taken David. Defining the long term goals of the land should be the first item discussed. Then, a plan of attack launched.

Post subject: clearing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:34 am 

Building soil will normally get rid of both - compost, humates, molasses, etc. Grass was cleared for farming, soil was destroyed by farming, cedar and mesquite to over to rebuild and protect from washing away in storms
Robert D Bard