It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ORGANIC GARDEN FUNGICIDE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:19 pm 

Dear Members -

I am looking for information on product made by SCHULTZ that is identified as "Garden Safe" and as an Organic Gardening product.

It is called "Fungicide 3 in one". However, it appears to have an insecticide in it that I cannot identify as "Organic".

If anyone knows about this product, please share what you know with me please. I found it at WAL-MART and it allegedly replaces an organic Fungicide product that I have used in past years called "SERENADE" made by Agri-Quest...and it displays an OMRI Seal. Also if you know where I can find "Serenade" I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Gene Wentworh (JOGENE) :?:

Living in Central Texas next to Killeen and Fort Hood about mid-way between Temple and Copperas Cove, in Bell County (Zone 5) with mostly black and white (Kiliche) soil. Appear to be on the borderline for annual plant survival,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:07 pm 

so what is in it that you can't identify as organic?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:47 pm 

Dear sandih-

The ingredient is called Hydrophobic Extract of NeemTree Oil - 0.9% and it is cautioned that the product is harmful to Bees in direct application :cry: .

JOGENE

Living in Central Texas next to Killeen and Fort Hood about mid-way between Temple and Copperas Cove, in Bell County (Zone 5) with mostly black and white (Kiliche) soil. Appear to be on the borderline for annual plant survival,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:20 am 

According to their website:

3 garden products in one!
Fungicide, Insecticide and Miticide
Prevents and controls black spot, powdery mildew, anthracnose, rust blight and other fungal diseases
Kills eggs, larvae and adult stages of insects including aphids, scale, whiteflies, beetles and other listed pests
Kills mites including spider mites
Contains extract of neem oil, an all-natural product
Organic Materials Review Institute listed, for use in organic gardening

First of all, Neem oil is used in many organic sprays as a pesticide, so I see no issues with that.
Info about Neem:
Neem oil is a vegetable oil pressed from the fruits and seeds of Neem (Azadirachta indica), an evergreen tree which is endemic to the Indian sub-continent and has been introduced to many other areas in the tropics. It is perhaps the most important of the commercially available products of neem for organic farming and medicines.

It kills indiscriminately just as orange oil products do and even DE..so that is to be expected. As far as you not sure about the organic status, I am not sure if the Organic Materials Review institute is the end-all word for organic status but that's all they give us to go on.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: ORGANIC GARDEN FUNGICIDE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 am 

Dear Sandhi-Organic Gardener -

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply to my request for info about Schultz Fungicide 3 in1.

You are indeed a very wise Organic Garden Person, and I know that Howard is happy to have you on the Ground Crew Team. From your information it appears thatif I use of this product, I should proceed with caution, in the same manner as one does with Orange Oil.

Incidentally, the OMRI indorsement was on the Agri Quest product Serenade and not on the Schultz Fungicide. I had used Serenade for three years assuming that it was an organic Fungicide,,,,with good results. The problem is that I have not been able to find it locally since WAL-MART stopped carrying it. Obviously no one on staff at any of our WAL-MART Stores has any idea why it is no longer available !!

Thanks again for you quick reply and willingness to help. Have a great (but HOT) Sunday :D

Killeen Gene (JOGENE to Howard)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am 

"Organic Materials Review Institute listed, for use in organic gardening "

Came directly from the Fungicide 3 in one website

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:34 am 

Sandi et. al.

Thanks for the clarification. I am om my way to pick up a container of Schultz Fungicide 3 in 1 !! Look Out Fungis, Bad Bugs and Mites !! :shock:

Killeen Gene :shock: