It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: poison ivy treatment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 am 

my mind is failing me and i can't remember the remedy that has been recommended to treat poison ivy. please help. the mind is always the second thing to go. i can't remember what goes first, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:59 pm 

comfrey is what Howard has been reccomending that works so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 pm 

Do you have to grow it or can it be purchased somewhere? Does it actually make poison ivy go away or dry up faster, or just make it feel better? I'm fighting that poison ivy battle now, as it blisters and tries to spread.

I picked up a soap that is supposed to stop the itch; the results aren't spectacular. I use Ivy Dry as a topical spray that tends to help stop the bad itch for a while (and the dogs and cats think it tastes great.)

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:32 pm 

I think you can actually buy the plant somewhere. You would have to shop around. From what Howard says the juice from the comfrey plant will dry it up. I'm not sure about how to do it if it is in the blister stages.
You might want to wait on some other response or Howards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:54 am 

I just put some on my new rash. Squeeze the juice out of the stem of one of the older leaves. More than one application is usually needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 am 

I'm in good company then. :)

Is the plant sold somewhere, or do you grow your own comfrey? Is it one of those plants that supposedly grows nearby the problem plant? When I was a kid in the Northwest it was equisetum (horsetails) that was considered a "cure" for nettles, and they were usually in the same area.

Geez I hate this stuff, and I'm usually so careful to avoid it. Those grapes were too tempting last weekend. And when I try putting a bandaid over the oozy spots, either I sweat it off or the dogs discretely sniff then pull it off. No doubt doing me a favor!

Northwesterner

Post subject: POISON IVY GONE!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:10 pm 

Go the most any drug store and get some Technu Extreme. Follow the simple directions.

This is a homeopathic treatment and has worked 100% of the time on me and everyone I have recommended it to.

I first heard about this when I visited an isolated U.C. bird banding station near Point Reyes, CA. The sudents have to visit the capture nets every 30 minutes and the place is covered with poison oak and ivy. They have a gallon jug of this stuff and shower with it every night. All the students raved about it.

Please share your results.
Tony M

Post subject: Re: poison ivy treatment
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:58 am 

Last summer I had a bad case of poison ivy...was pretty bad & I tried aloe & soaking (arms) in cornmeal water & oat water...but, it wasn't until I used good old table salt on it that I got any relief at all...just wet my arms & rubbed salt all over the area & it felt SO good then let it set a while, maybe 5 min or so then rinse...I felt such relief afterward I had not felt before...I understand the salt drys up the poison & "draws" it out of the skin...remarkable results...I highly recommend the salt to everyone!!