It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mice in the yard
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:30 am 

I wasn't sure just which topic this should go under, but this seemed "general" enough. I have mice in my back yard because of my compost pile and bird feeders. Plus all the animals seem to like my yard best!! (I wonder why???? Tee hee) My question: if a mouse stays outside, does it do any harm to the yard? Do they help organically like some under-the-ground insects that aerate the ground? Are they a benefit or a nuisance? No rats, just mice. At times they get into my storage unit and especially if I have some organic amendment that I haven't gotten into a metal storage can, but otherwise, they usually stay in the compost pile or run around foraging bird seed that has been dropped on the ground. Should I just leave them or should I trap them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:54 am 

Mice breed and have litters about every 20 minutes. Given that slight exaggeration, how would you feel when they take over your yard and possible your house when the weather begins to get cold. They might attract some raptors to your yard which are fascinating. Would you be just as excited to see snakes? Do you have neighbors?
I would discourage them by putting a large tray attached to the bottom of your bird feeder. Put fresh compost scraps in a metal garbage can with a lid on it. After they have composted a bit you can blend them into the pile.
Don't give anyone the idea that a compost pile is a bad idea.
Tony M

Post subject: Mice in the yard
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:30 am 

The mice like my compost pile especially during the cold months because they find warmth there. I already put my food into a metal garbage can until it has composted. I even trapped some mice a couple of years ago. About the only thing I haven't done is to put that tray beneath my bird feeders, but then doves and other birds pick up any actual seed that falls. Granted the seed shells are on the ground. I have seen a small hawk in my backyard a couple of times, but so far no snakes. Neighbors haven't complained because the mice tend to like my yard best, I suppose, and don't go over there. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. I have seen a mouse duck under the greenery around my house, but I also put brillo-type stuff where I have wood meeting brick.

Compost piles are a wonderful thing, and I'll keep singing their praises til I die. But organics & crispy critters just seem to go hand in hand. Any other suggestions??