It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: mushroom compost?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:26 pm 

I have some mushroom compost available to me. Are there any negatives about using this stuff? Any advice or tips? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:46 pm 

You can do a "google.com" search on "mushroom compost", and find lots of articles about the pros and cons of using mushroom compost.

My understanding is that mushroom compost is the special medium used to grow commercial mushrooms for marketing. It is usually made from horse manure and wood chips bedding as a starter base. Some mushroom compost recipes add other grains like corn and alfalfa to the mixture too.

Mushroom compost is usually a very fungal based and sometimes very acidic compost mixture (i.e. pH< 6.0). This is what mushrooms like to grow in.

Non-organic mushroom compost can be contaminated with chemical herbicides and pesticides. Certified organic mushroom compost is ok, but it may be too fungal or acidic for your plants' needs.

Nothing is better than homemade, balanced, mature compost. Normal mature compost has a near neutral pH.

However if mushroom compost is all you can got to use, use it.
However always remember to add other balanced proteins, carbohydrates, sugars, nutrients, and minerals to your soil over time, in order to build up healthy beneficial biological colonies in your soil.

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton