It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:15 am 

Odd weather out of season - even the welcomed addtional rain we got - can make the trees behave oddly. That last spurt of growth might have been more than the tree should normally have done.

I'd just keep on it with maybe a lil extra foliar spray for a while. Extra shot of organic fertilizer or some good compost wouldn't hurt it either.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:09 am 

I haven't checked the buds on my Shumard, though I'm not too worried since it is growing strong and steady with never a problem. This year is its first with a few acorns on it, and they're HUGE. Not Burr-oak huge but much bigger than I expected.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:43 am 

Well mine is dark green, thriving, and healthy as the proverbial horse. I got it from Puckett's Nursery in Allen, and they seem to have a reasonable idea of what they're doing as opposed to the big box stores. Nice to know some places really have what it's marked. I got it when it was in a one gallon pot and only about 6 ft tall. Now its around 15 feet and thick, lush, and happy, not far from my Ash and Birch trees.

It's worth noting I HAD an incorrectly marked 'Shumard' there for a year and a half that went yellow, didn't grow and after I studied the overall shape of things decided it was at best a bad hybrid. I removed it and planted this one.

Post subject: Caddo Maple
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:11 pm 

I have had the exact same problem with my Caddo Maple. The second round of growth yellows and wilts away. I am just down the road from you in Waxahachie, so perhaps it is our soils. I am at the same point as you and will replace it this fall.