It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:39 am 

I have a huge problem, literally! I have wasps or hornets that are atleast 4 inches long and are very mean! I have never seen hornets this big and cannot identify them in any books (because they are so large!) Can anyone offer any suggestions for making it through the summer without these bullies!? Please help! They chase after my family and I! Thanks--Bobbie

Post subject: moster bees
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:58 am 

Bobbie-we have these bees in Irving, Tx. Have you ever noticed in your yard-big mounds of dirt-they come out of these holes. I have no solution for you on them - but I try to kill them in the ground (in the hole) I also put down dusban to help control them. I certainly don't want to get stung!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:02 pm 

Uh-Oh, Dursban :shock: That approach won't garner much support on this forum.

Do these insects resemble a giant bumble bee? Black and yellow? It could be a cicada (sp?) killer. While they do seem menacing, I don't believe they will sting.

As for the Dursban, for your own health and that of your family, seek out one of the hazardous materials disposal events and rid yourself of that.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:15 pm 

I sure do appreciate the help. Dfarley--We live near National Forest, so I guess that they could live in the ground there. I sure don't want to go looking for them. Is there anything to detour them from my yard? To grow maybe? Mr. Clean--They do have the head of a bee and are black and yellow and fuzzy like a bee, but they have a seperated body like a wasp. There is definetly stinger, about 1/4" long. I will try and find a picture of a cicada killer online and see if that's it. Thanks again. Bobbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:57 am 

NEVER, NEVER use Dursban. That stuff can't be sold to the public anymore for a darned good reason! It's toxic! Try this for a solution that will make everyone happy & will work no matter what these turn out to be: Get a citronella spray like Skeeter D'Feeter and use it in the area every couple of weeks. I know from experience that it will chase those guys off pretty quickly. You can spray it on your plants, fence, brick, etc. with no ill effects. Just don't spray it on the windows as it will cause a cloudy cover sheen. If you get it on the windows by mistake just use a vinegar & water solution to wash it off. It will also chase away most other biting, stinging flyers like mosquitoes and flies and you can even spray it on your pets (unless they have very sensitive skin) without ill effects. Skeeter D'Feeter has been tested on horses and cows and the results were great. I have used it on my outside dogs, who love to run through the water anytime I spray the yard, and they are fine with it. Ask your local organic gardening store if they have it in stock or can order it. It's well worth the time & effort, and it's far safer than anything else that's been mentioned. You can kill them with a d-limonene solution if you want to but they are really beneficial, so if you can avoid it just chase them off your property instead.

Post subject: Thanks everyone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:48 pm 

We caught one yesterday and they are definetly cicada killer wasps. We bought some citronella torches and we're going to try our luck with those. I'm sure glad to know that they're not out to get us, but they are still pretty scary. Thanks again! Bobbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:01 pm 

heirloom gardener

Glad to hear that is what it is. They can appear menacing. I remember my first encounter, it appeared to be dive bombing me after emerging from the ground. How did you capture your specimen?

I haven't had any in my lawn for the last couple of years. No prey I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:04 pm 

I live with wasps every day in my garage where my office is. They will investigate you but they get to know you fast. If you don't go waving your arms and jumping around, they will fly away. I've even trained my 8 and 4 year-old daughters to relax around them. Of course ours aren't 4 inches long :shock:

Post subject: Cicada killers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:32 pm 

I have to admit, these are som eof the most menacing things I've ever seen flying around. Yet I was on a golf course once and one flew up the sleeve of my partner. It took him at least 10-15 secs to get it out. Never stung him.

So unless you're a cicada, you're probably OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:26 am 

They are a bit intimidating, but they won't hurt you, or at least I've never heard of them stinging people. They are just hunting. I wish they were hunting for grasshoppers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:04 pm 

I was told about a particular kind of wasp that was one of the "beneficials" in that it liked to either lay eggs in or eat some kind of borer larvae, so I have tried just avoiding wasps. I have gotten stung occasionally, but this year, a little nest of wasps - typical hexagonal paper-looking cells, about 7" across, and located in one of the ribs of the garage door that I don't close (because a mockingbird has made her nest on one of the shelves..and I don't want her to move away!) and this year, a couple of them stung me as I walked under their nest - and I thought i was going to lose my left arm. The initial sting was just at the wrist on the thumb side, and over the next three days, the arm swelled to twice its size and itched and blistered terribly!
I hate calling a "pest control" to use poison on this wasp nest, but I certainly don't want to have to carry epinephrine or injectable steroid with me when I go out into my garage! Any suggestions?
drchelo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:47 pm 

We have them in our yard recently. They are not that aggressive here, so we have left them alone.
Jim In Dallas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:38 pm 

In reference to the wasps that build nests inside garages, sheds, or in "people places"
You can put on heavy clothing with a netting veil over your face and shoulders topped with a stiff hat, and take a long wood stick, broom handle, or whatever will reach the nest. Get to the base of the nest where it is attached, and knock the nest down. Be ready to get out of the way because the wasps will be pretty angry. After the nest is down for a little while, the wasps will abandon it. I hate doing this, but I don't want wasps living in my garage or anywhere I frequently walk. I figure there are 12 acres out here that they can live on, so they can give me my 1500 sq ft. To me, that's a pretty fair deal for them. I leave them alone as long as they are not a danger to me or my animals, because I believe they are good for the general balance of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:34 pm 

I think the recent rains have brought the mud daubers back to my garage/office this year. They are more than welcome. I was getting a spiderweb in the face per week during May and June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:44 pm 

:D I love these guys - these cicada killers. They have been buzzing around me and my garden for years. They have even smacked me in the side of the head when they weren't watching where they were going.

These are one of the beneficials and have never stung me. They will carry off the bad bugs and take them out for a wonderful meal.

Keep your soil alive,
Chefrank