It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:26 pm 

Does anyone know about how to keeping your area from being sprayed with pesticides?

Can this be prevented due to breathing-related medical conditions?

Is it still true that if your property is certified "Wildscape" or a "Certified Wildlife Habitat" that you can keep the city from spraying within a one mile radius?

Is there anything that can be done to keep the spray away? :?:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:41 am 

Furthermore, Nadine, sadly, I've contacted the county - those responsible for actully spraying - and encouraged them to spray safe products, which are EPA labled and OMRI labled both. I even sent MSDS sheets and distributor information urging him to call them.

The next year, during a conversation regarding the sewage spill at my pond, he apparently didn't recall our prior contact as I asked about spraying something other than the traditional products, larvacides which are synthetic in part or in whole, and he made the comment that he wasn't going to spray a bunch of what amounted to salad dressing.

Unfortunately, even when we GIVE them the tools - they for some reason ignore or dismiss them. I guess the new NO SPRAY policy is better than the alternative, but until or unless we elect folks to the boards, i.e., health board, that are GREEN friendly, we'll not be able to affect much.

By the way, ecotrol is made by a company that actually distributes a residential formula that is sold in walmart stores. (not that I like to promote that retailer, but if it is the only place available to some, so be it.) They contain the herb/essential oils that have the same type of effect, (i think anyway) as the nerve toxins, however, since it is not a neurotoxin, it won't affect mammals or reptiles.

Keep up the good fight!

PS - you can request that your property NOT be sprayed, especially if someone living there has health issues. I have a farm here and it would be impossible to put up my pets. They have explicit instructions not to spray on or around my 14 acres. However, if the wind is blowing wrong, it will drift. Encourage your neighbors to complain and get everyone aware of preventative steps as well as natural sprays and cedar granuales which do help some.

214-348-EDEN (3336)
Your Paradise Found

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:31 pm 

when I found out that my neighborhood was scheduled to be sprayed last year, I called the city and told them that I did not want my street to be sprayed. They took down my address and said they would skip my street. Of course, I was asleep in the wee hours that they sprayed so I am assuming they did skip my street. They seemed prepared though, for calls from people with the same request.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:33 pm 

sandih wrote:
when I found out that my neighborhood was scheduled to be sprayed last year, I called the city and told them that I did not want my street to be sprayed. They took down my address and said they would skip my street. Of course, I was asleep in the wee hours that they sprayed so I am assuming they did skip my street. They seemed prepared though, for calls from people with the same request.

Interesting. Thank you. Every little bit helps. Just think: if they did, in fact, not spray, then what if one person on every street in the city were to call and request not to be sprayed? :?:

This brings to mind the wind factor. It is my understanding that "pest control operators" are only allowed to apply pesticide when there is less than a certain amount of wind. I wonder if the mosquito spraying by the city conforms to the same law...

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:51 pm 

My question about spraying is - does it kills mosquitoes?

I am sure dragonflies, butterflies get sprayed too.
Maybe even birds. Dogs should been in the house.
Even if it kills mosquitoes, they probably killed one and missed 100. And even if you kill them off, more coming to meet you within the next day.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:27 pm 

squid wrote:
Nadine, in your first post are you referring to the Texas Wildscapes Program? I recently applied to TPWD for that certification and would be interested to know if thats the case in ref to spraying.....

:D Yes, I believe that is it! Thank you. I could not recall the exact name of the program.

It is my understanding that if you have a certified Wildscape habitat on your property, this can prevent spraying within (I believe) a one mile radius.

Thank you!

Now, whether or not they honor this is something to look into. Armed with a gas mask and a wetsuit or perhaps a hazardous materials "HazMat" suit, one brave and either determined or insomniatic (is that a word?) person could verify this. 8)

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:55 pm 

Tree Dude wrote:
My question about spraying is - does it kills mosquitoes?

I am sure dragonflies, butterflies get sprayed too.
Maybe even birds. Dogs should been in the house.
Even if it kills mosquitoes, they probably killed one and missed 100. And even if you kill them off, more coming to meet you within the next day.

Tree Dude

No, it is not as effective as the general public might think. The time at which the spraying is done is the time most mosquitoes are dormant, hidden away for the night in safe places. Especially the Asian Tiger Mosquito. These pesky creatures are active only when the sun is out!

Yes, you are correct. More WILL be coming to meet (and dine on) you within the next day. Even if you kill some mosquitoes, you kill many more predators of mosquitoes, the insects that EAT mosquitoes. With fewer predators, mosquitoes will increase in number. So sad that more people do not know this. :cry:

:idea: Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper. Write and or call your city officials. Cite references and keep your point one of logic - avoiding the emotional factor which might cause the :roll: (oh brother!) reaction and distract from the truth. [/i]

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm 

I contacted the city in which I live and requested they not spray within my area. I then received a call from someone with the city who informed me that they did receive my message and that they would not spray near my street. When I asked what she meant by "near my street" she stated that the pesticide they use does not travel very far :?: , that it is in the form of a "fog". :roll: I asked if this meant that they would not spray within a mile of my street or what. She said they would not spray my street or the street on either side of me.
Although I am glad to get a response, for some reason, this still does not comfort me. If just one person on each street were to make such a request, they would not spray, right?

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 pm 

Soon enough, the people will complain to the city that they are being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Shame on the city for allowing THAT to happen! :roll:

People need more information so they can make better decisions

Just to be sure, I have been in contact with my city to be sure they do not spray in my area. Soon enough, people will be complaining about the mosquitoes. If you do not wish to risk being subjected to the toxic spray, contact your city and ask them kindly not to spray. 8)

The Laws of Ecology: