It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: nematodes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:08 pm 

try putting them in a big wateringcan. the type that has a big sprinkler type
heads. stir them up and pour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:54 pm 

If you use a watering can, you might find that the head won't clog as bad from the medium if you mix the material in a bucket and then strain out the solids when you pour it into the watering can. I usually wash the medium two or three times to be sure of getting out the stragglers, and then I might put the wed medium on one or more fire and mound(s) and then wash through it into the mound(s).

I'd use lukewarm water, but don't use very warm water. I'm a bit suspicious (maybe unjustifiably) of using chlorinated city water, so I might try filtered water, spring water, or well water if you have it. I've seen references to using distilled or deionized water, but I'm not too sure about what sort of osmotic conditions that would create when mixed with the medium. I don't know what sort of electrolytes are in the typical medium, and I wonder about how well the nematodes would tolerate a hypo-osmotic environment. It seems likely that the dilution water is even more important for the product that comes on sponges instead of in medium.

As for application times, I presonally believe they're best applied in the evening aroung dusk. Ultraviolet light can affect them adversely, as it can many microorganisms, and infrared has the potential to dessicate those that remain exposed on plant material. Either can cause mortality. So, put them out in the evening and water them in right away after you've applied them. I've had some that demanded food and wine, but they settled for some lightly marinated flea larvae with chocolate-covered fire ant grubs for dessert. :wink:

Last edited by Enzyme11 on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:55 pm 

DanHfmn

HG recently did a short segment on BN application and he demonstrated the straining the nematodes from the packing media as noted by Enzyme11. I have been told that that process is not necessary if you remove the head from your watering can. Seeing efficiency in my program, I chose not to strain. You might try both methods to see which you prefer.

As with Enzyme11, I use either de-chlorinated water (let it sit overnight in the watering can), fish water from my fish tank, or distilled water. I would not risk the possible adverse effects from the water straight out of the tap. I say that, while at the same time recognizing that they might be watered in by a sprinker fed by city water. Oh well, go figure.

Let the media and BN soak for about 30 minutes, and then slosh the water randomly around the property.

I have also heard that dusk is a prime period for application. It would be nice if application was preceeded for followed by a nice shower.
:wink:

Seeing efficiency in my program...[/i]Should read Seeking efficiency...

Last edited by Mr. Clean on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:34 am 

Mr. Clean wrote:
DanHfmn

HG recently did a short segment on BN application and he demonstrated the straining the nematodes from the packing media as noted by Enzyme11. I have been told that that process is not necessary if you remove the head from your watering can. Seeing efficiency in my program, I chose not to strain. You might try both methods to see which you prefer.

I keep the shower head on only because it makes it easier for me to cover the area evenly without running out. If you can gauge the flow/area okay, you don't need to use the head or strain out the medium -- which also means you get virtually every individual onto the area. If I were treating fire ant mounds or other concentrated areas, I'd do it like Mr. C.