It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:00 pm 

I've noticed that for the last couple of days, that my treasured earthworms are leaving my lawn and crawling on my driveway to dry out and die. What's up with that???? I haven't applied anything to my lawn for several weeks, but that application was good organic stuff. Can I do anything to stop this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:59 pm 

Jackie-
No, there's not much you can do to stop the worm exodus just like you can't stop your hummingbirds from flying south in the fall. My son's sister-in-law actually uses worms in her cancer research at Yale. She said that it is not exactly known why worms are compelled to roam but it probably has something to do with *** (oops, can I use that word on the forum I better say mating.)
I guess it's easier to find a mate crawling around out in the open that it is underground. I have a little black bass in my KOI pond, when I get the paper in the morning I collect the potential suicide victims and feed them to Billie the Bass.
Tony

Post subject: water, maybe?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:34 pm 

Jackie,

I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question ... but it sure made me laugh! In my previous home at certain times of the year, whenever we had a "damp night" I had the same issue with earthworms that you describe. I never really figured out why they did it (though it seemed related to water) ... but my dog sure liked it! She developed quite a taste for worm jerky! I believe her preference was to let it cure until about 1pm each day.

Adam