It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:33 am 

Mr. Clean wrote:
The mention of chicken keeping in an urban or suburban environment certainly piqued my interest. Is there anyone currently doing this? What are the regulations in your city/town?

I wouldn't worry as much about wild dogs, but we do have several neighborhood cats and a couple of Red-Tail Hawks in the general vicinity. What do you do to protect your birds? I don't have a fenced-in yard, is that a problem or do the birds stay close?

A couple things about back yard hens.....we raised them around a half dozen at a time on our half acre lot while we lived in Florida. I'd definitely check the local ordinance...they might allow a few hens, but roosters are usually a no-no due to the obvious. (crowing) And even if the ordinance allows it, you really can head off some headaches by testing the water with the neighbors. Some of them can really get a snotty attitude about this kind of stuff. And the hens can be as noisy as the roosters-when one lays an egg the rest of em cackle encouragement, and it can be heard a good ways off. They will wander around if allowed to roam and they will dig the heck out of areas that attract their interest. The neighbors' prize ornamental whatever included, so confinement of some kind is probably in your future. You will likely be feeding bagged feed and table scraps exclusively, unless you are inclined to spend a lot of time hunting bugs for em. :) Upside is they can be raised in a really small area-in commercial settings they put five of them in not much more than a cubic foot of space.
I'd say start with a couple chicks around Easter time....you can always say you rescued em from someone whose kids lost interest in em. City folks like stuff like that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:36 pm 

I know this is one of your older posts, but I was looking for help and noticed you said contact you with any questions.

We have 21 Rhode Island Reds. 1 Rooster, the rest hens. All but about 3 of the hens have bare spots on their backs. Like the feathers are being pulled/yanked out. The spots are naturally sore looking. They have about an acre or two to roam in, so space is not a problem. They are locked in a spacious chicken house each night.

We've watched them out in the yard and have yet to find any evidence of the chickens picking on each other. Of course, it could happen at night. The rooster has all his feathers.

I've looked for hours tonight on several chicken web sites and nobody has talked about this problem, so, I'm desperate. I thought I'd talk to our vet tomorrow. We live in the country and our vet is very experienced. I just haven't called her yet.

Thanks for your help! If I should go to your web site, just tell me.
Thank you, again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:32 am 

This is a usual condition that happens when the rooster jumps on their back and digs his sprus or feet in to subdue the hen during mating. I'm surprised all but three birds have this. One rooster can normally handle 10-12 birds. Either this one is very active or you have another younger rooster that you have not identified. Is this possible?
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 am 

I know almost nothing about chickens but read on another website that someone had sewed 'chicken saddles'!!! They were really cute & believe it on not their hens 'liked' wearing them! Pranced around like they were all dressed up. :) The picture showed a small cloth 'saddle' w/ties underneath. If I can locate the thread I'll try to post.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:27 am 

Here's the web site for 'chicken saddles/aprons'.

http://www.mbldesigns.com/chicken_aprons.html

Post subject: Re: Chickens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 am 

I have chickens.. What I do is put them in my orchard. I have no bugs and they fertilize them. they are free range and go into the coop at night.
I had guineas also. They eat the fleas ticks..
We had wild animal issues so I got a great pyranese pup.. She protects our chickens along with all our animals.. Great watch dog. !

Brenda

Post subject: Re: Chickens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 pm 

can chickens and guinneas share a pen? i have chickens but have been afraid to free range them past the pen because i don't want them to get hurt or run off, nor do i want them to eat up my garden :? but it seems like guinneas will control insects without pecking up my veggies...can they share the pen at night without squabling?
thanks,
m