It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Problem with Red Oak
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:59 pm 

For the 3rd year in a row, my red oak's leaves look like they are being chewed out in chunks. I have looked for an insect and find the tips of the leaves and sometimes the sides are rolled up, and appear to have a web but I have never seen any insect. Is this something the sick tree treatment will help? I asked the local organic nursery man and he said it probably wouldn't hurt the tree but by the end of the year, the leaves were very obviously so thin, you could see through the tree. The tree has filled out well this year so I don't know if whatever the problem was did go away but I still have a huge amount of damaged leaves.
Second question, on my morning walk, I worry about a huge (8ft or so circumference) oak tree in a yard in which a family who moved in has let a flower bed full of some type of vine take over the trunk and it is now reaching the crown. I thought this would kill the tree and since I don't know this family, I left a friendly note and suggested they might consider removing the vine due to the potential of problems but they never did anything. Every time I walk by, (it's always dark) I want to pull some of the vine down. Is this a problem or should I quit worrying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:07 am 

I've heard Howard say (I believe) that growing vines on the trunk is ok but do not let it up in the canopy. It's heavy and can prevent needed sunlight from reaching the tree.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:17 am 

Have no thoughts on the insect but the 'sick tree treatment' couldn't hurt. Do you have a trombone sprayer? Some garrett juice would be good if you can get it up into the tree.

It's funny, isn't it, the way we notice other people's trees now that we know how they should look! I walk by a yard that had to have the water main dug up & the dirt was replaced all over the tree & a good foot up the trunk! I keep waiting to see these people so I can say something but I think I'll take your approach & leave a note.

We had a sycamore that was at least 25 years old & 2' in diameter. English ivy had covered the trunk & began to get into the canopy. I 'heard' you should keep it out of the canopy, so we did but it died anyway. The trunk was covered w/bugs, rot, etc, especially at the base.

I would keep vines away from the flare. I think HG recommends this as well.

Patty

Post subject: Re Garrett Juice
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:34 pm 

I see that new leaves are being damaged too; I was hoping it was damage from last year so I will give the Garrett Juice a try. I have had it for a while but good intentions have not worked so far so I will have to try actually using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:45 am 

Do you have a trombone sprayer? Worth their weight in gold. (& nearly that expensive) You probably can't get to the leaves w/o one.

Patty

Post subject: Re: Trombone sprayer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:11 pm 

I have heard of them but do not know what they look like or where to get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:52 am 

go to yahoo or google and do a search.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:22 am 

"HUDSON" is probably the top brand in trombone sprayers. I've seen two sizes; one looks like a long rod (two pieces, one slides on top of other) & a bigger model that has two pistol type grips on the slides. The larger model can reach into taller trees. Along with internet searches, call some of your local garden centers. A lot of stores sell these sprayers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:13 am 

Well's Bro.s in Plano has them but I know that doesn't help you in Waco. :) Check your feed stores there.

Patty