It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:46 am 

I have a number of young dissectums (orangeola and viridis in particular) that I'd like to relocate from pots into my front/side landscaping. There are a couple of spots in which I'd like to use them in the back portion of my beds close to the house. Sun/shade combination, space for the trees to mature, etc. has all been accounted for. I'd like to plant them as close as 2' to the foundation (maybe even 18" in one instance). Since the roots systems are non-aggressive, I don't believe this will be a problem but I thought I'd pose the question here. Any thoughts?

Post subject: I'm not an expert
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:52 pm 

I can only tell you from my experience, I planted mine about 6 feet from a bedroom window to showcase it. It now is touching the window screen and over the roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 am 

Good point. Research the height and width information to know what it may be like in a few years.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:17 pm 

Donna - You have a dissectum that has spread 6' in one direction and grown what I presume is over 9' in height? Very few get that big here. May I ask what kind you have... Seiryu? Ornatum?

Sandi - Thanks. I've accounted for growing room per my initial post.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 pm 

Regarding type I have, I plead stupidity, just bought one because a neighbor had a small, pretty one. Needless to say, mine has grown way more than I had expected. I'm just glad I got it as far away from the house that I did, otherwise, it would not have room to grow. I recently ordered a "Waterfall" from an ad on a whim that indicated it would be perfect for a container. Container maybe for a while, but after researching and before I put it in something too small, turns out it will grow to be 10' by 10'! Just Google your types and you can find out mature sizes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:00 am 

Donna - There are hundreds of types of Japanese maples and some can get rather large (20' x20') in size. Dissectums are a class of Japanese maple that have a lacy leaf structure and a weeping growth habit. They grow wider than tall (usually not more than 10' in height but there are exceptions). The Waterfall you purchased is a member of this class. (Waterfall and Viridis are often mentioned together - identical but Viridis doesn't get quite as large.) Beautiful trees - bright green leaves that turn stunning yellow in the fall.

Give it day long dappled sun or morning sun with afternoon shade. Also try to give it some shelter from wind.

It'll be fine in a container. It is very slow growing and will only reach it's maximum growth potential in ideal conditions and after many decades. The lifespan on this tree is more than 200 years. The pot will slow growth even further and ultimately prevent it from reaching maximum size. Just replant it every two years or so and either move it too a larger pot or trim away some of the roots before returning it to the same pot.

Search the photos on this site. I believe you'll find one of Howard's Crimson Queen which is decades old and grown in a pot. Crimson Queen is a close cousin to Waterfall/Viridis with red leaves.

Post subject: Thanks for the info
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:42 pm 

Wow, 200 years? Maybe I won't put it in that plastic pot I was thinking about. Just kidding. Thanks for the info.