It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Invasive Vines
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:17 pm 

I have fought 2 different types of vines for 9 years with the higher concentrate vinegar with soap but it has not helped. Both have rather heart-shaped leaves. One is dark green, runs under the ground with thick, tuberous roots and pop out everywhere in my garden and yard. Pulling out and digging is futile. The other has lighter green leaves with brownish splotches but the main identifying point is the very sharp thorns the vine has. I read to cut them off as low as possible but again, they come back. I am bounded by neighbors who have let the fence line grow up and don't try to control anything. I put in flower beds when we first moved in and now my time is spent battling these vines who intertwine everything so bad that some of my trees and shrubs were almost taken over before I realized it because the vines grow so fast. I am to the point of taking the beds down and just mowing the vines. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:32 am 

Sounds like the one w/thorns may be green briar. (it's actually from hell. :evil: ) We have it at our acreage & clip, clip, mow, mow-bet WE die b/4 it does. :x

The other sounds like one we have here at home that is going to take over my yard. If you have HG's book: "Texas Gardening the Natural Way" it MAY be on page 138: Carolina snailseed. He actually says: "Considered a weed by many but actually a pretty nice-looking vine." Well, NOT when it has taken over my 4 o'clocks, daisies, even the English ivy! :x

Patty

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 pm 

HG's book that I have is from 1993, Organic Gardening and does not deal with vines except acceptable varieties to grow. I think you are right
about them outliving us. When we built on an unimproved lot in 1998, I was diligent with the organic methods until I resorted to hand-painting the leaves of one plant with eek! ROUNDUP (I know HG would not be happy) but all it did was shrivel the leaves but didn't kill the vine. This was the thorny vine. The other is tenacious, growing to the top of shrubs and trees in tight little curls, wrapping other branches together and suffocating it if you dont catch it fast enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:07 am 

In my experience, the only way to get rid of green briar is to dig up the tubers. Even the nasty chemicals won't kill it. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it is worth it. Otherwise, you'll be cutting it back every day. The only problem is when they are intertwined with the roots of things you want to keep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 am 

I've been pulling the little green vine EVERY day-in between rain-and I have vowed to check it every day & pull whatever I see of it.

It will not get me first. :)

I have no idea if this will eventually eradicate it but I'm feeling better about not seeing it entwined in all my flowers! Hopefully, if the leaf source is removed by my 'mowing by hand' it will get discouraged.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 pm 

I wish I could get to the tubers but both of these vines are coming from the badly kept yards that border me; they come right under the fences. This weekend I resorted to the weed eater and ate them down into the ground. Mulched some but I know it is a matter of time until it pops up its ugly head. I even had some of the 20 year weed barrier along the fence line but it grew down and under and back out. I figure I will just have to keep it under control if I can't kill it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:59 am 

Yes, the 'tubers' are the culprits to erradicate. When I was pulling up the vine, I could see how 'thin' the soil is & the roots/tubers are so near the surface & so numerous & interwoven that I think I'm sunk! :( But surely if I continue to cut/pull the green part, it will eventually die, hopefully b/4 me.

Patty

Post subject: Invasive vines
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:02 pm 

I love vines and have over 20 in my yard but I don’t tolerate invasive vines. I have found that some vines are very well behaved and others want to send up shoots everywhere. This can happen with vines in the same family such as passion vines. The ones that send shoots everywhere are the ones I get rid of.

My method will kill some of the vines and maybe all of the vines in you neighbors’ yard. So you may want to consider what your neighbors’ reaction before you use it.

I use Roundup but you can use any brush killer. You want full strength not the ready to use stuff. At full strength this stuff is very dangerous so be very very careful.

1. Cut the main stalk and or several smaller stalks. If you don’t cut the main stalk (ie in neighbor’s yard) it may take longer to kill out the vine. I cut them about 3 feet above the ground, if possible, to make them easy to treat.
2. Put some killer in an easy to pour container (Roundup comes with a perfect pouring cup). On small diameter vines you can use a syringe (be careful).
3. Wearing rubber gloves hold the stalk and pour or inject the Roundup into the cut very slow so you get as much into the wound as possible. Wait 3 days and do it again.
4. Ever stalk you treat will die and most, if not all, of the shoots you didn’t treat. The stalks not treated that survived will need to be treated.

Side note: I have never seen any effect show on plants close by. I have treated as close as 3 inches without any ill affect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:29 am 

Well, RHE, thanks for the details but nearly all here won't use roundup. Gets in ground water & reacts w/other chemicals. Go to the main page, click 'library' on the left & find the 'R' section. Read about roundup.

Patty