It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:36 am 

i am new to organic gardening and i thought i knew basically what i was doing but by the looks of my new plants they are telling me otherwise.
my dad and i constructed a 20x7 old wood frame, layered newspaper (not the new york times, oops!), then my dad took ashes that he had been saving from his fireplace the last few years (he thought they would come in handy someday) and spread them over the newspaper. we then proceeded to the neighborhood FREE compost area where i cheered my dad on while he shoveled the most "broken down" compost from the bottom/middle mountain. we put the compost on top of the "saved' ashes. I then realized my daughter had been taking horse lessons the last 3 years at a local horse farm and i thought my dad might want to work out his soreness by loading the back of his truck with discarded horse manure and to my surprise he thought that was a fantastic idea so off we go. we aren't sure how long the manure had aged but it looked really rich and it completly crumbled. plus my dad made sure he went to the outer skirts to collect the manure. we then layered the manure over a few pounds of red wrigglers that i ordered off ebay. a few weeks later we planted tomatoes, jalepenos, pumpkin seeds, cucumber, and beans. i took a soil test and it came back 7.0.
the plants look like they have all halted in their growth and have yellow leaves. i haven't needed to water since God has been doing that for me. the bed seems to retain a nice moisture level under the top 1 inch layer. i thought it needed nitrogen so i added bottled "worm tea" directly to the bottom of the plants it seemed to perk up the color so i will continue to do this once a week. what else should i do? what have i done wrong?-thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:16 am 

Well, as Rosanadana's grama used to say- "it's always something".

I think our spring has been a little too cool & wet for TX gardens. My garden looks the same as yours. Both of 'em: here at home & at our acreage 60 miles northeast.

Beets never came up & I thought they were supposed to like 'cool'. Mesculen (?) lettuce came up at our land & we've eaten 1/4 of a salad. But nothing here in Plano. Carrots look like they may make it & radishes...I don't know.

Started flower seeds in egg cartons, set them out & think they have died. Rather expensive perennials from a good nursery don't even look good. Weeds on the other hand...

Patty