It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lawn Equipment
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:39 pm 

We are looking for a recommendaton for a zero-turn mower with a 46 to 50 inch cutting width. Also, we have 2 acres of lawn to cut.

I would appreciate high recommendations for a mower you have owned and operated. It is difficult to get an unbiased opinion at a dealership.

Please help us we are in need for a great mower immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:56 pm 

I just purchased a Gravely 44Z zero turn mower. It is built like a tank. I tested the Toro, Deere and the Gravely. They all cut and handle nice but this is intended to be the last mower I buy so I wanted one that is overbuilt.
The John Deere commercial mowers are very well built but so is the price.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:17 pm 

The current issue of Mother Earth News (April/May) has an article on zero turn mowers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 pm 

I'm going to give you my snide rant on mowing two acres.

Let's see, if you have two acres to mow, does that mean you have six acres of garden? Because it is my belief that you should have no more than 1/3 of your garden acreage (total acreage minus buildings and necessary hardscape) in grass. If you look at Better Homes and Gardens, or any other gardening magazine, they never show you vast fields of grass, because grass isn't very interesting. What they show you is flower beds, gazebos, patios, porches, topiary, decks, hedges, picnic areas, paved trails, arbors, foliar screens, orchards, ponds, rock features, statuary, barbecues, sports areas, Zen gardens, out buildings, espaliers, grots, fencing, walls, and some people even install backyard movie projection screens to have their own "drive-in" movies. With 2 acres you could have all the above and reduce your mowing by 2/3 easily.

I never did get the reason behind a zero-turn mower, especially if you have 2 acres. Check out the pattern used by the Zamboni on ice rinks and use that pattern to mow.