It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 pm 

Hello all,

I have a couple of lacebark elms in my front lawn and I recently exposed the root flares. One tree (a replacement) has been planted for three years now and it has a large circling root around 60% of the trunk (see pics). I believe this one needs to be removed asap. I'm hesitant due to the size of the root, but it appears that there are plenty more to support the tree.

*** NEW PICS OF EXPOSED ROOTS ***

Here is the opposite side of the same tree:

*** NEW PICS OF EXPOSED ROOTS ***

Here is the other tree. Not as bad but is it a problem? I plan on removing the root that is circling the trunk.

Here is a Chinese Pistachio that doesn't look too bad...is this ok?

Opposite side of same tree:

Thanks in advance!

Dom[/img]

Last edited by dom on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Hrmmm...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:51 pm 

UPDATE: I pasted the urls using IE and IE now seems to display them properly.

I tried using the [img] tag first, but the image would not display; therefore I used the url.

The pics are in a public folder (maybe you tried to access them b4 I made it public?), so they should be accessible.

I just tried viewing them in IE 6.0.2900.x and I just get a blank screen...weird! No problems in Firefox.

Can you see them now or can anyone else? If not, I'll have to figure something else out!

Thanks,

Dom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:30 pm 

Yes, I can see the pics. I would expose down to the flare before you do anything to see how extensive the problem is.
I live in McKinney and drive thru Frisco often. If you would like me to visit after you get the flare exposed, let me know. The last picture looks like you may be close but I can't tell for sure.
Right now I see mostly advantageous roots which should be romoved.
Tony M

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:09 pm 

Thanks to the both of you. I will work on getting more exposed to better evaluate each tree's needs.

I may not be able to get to it right away, but I'll update this post as soon as possible.

Thanks again,

Dom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:13 pm 

I agree. Good advice guys. Great pics by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:46 pm 

ttt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:06 am 

Most all of those roots I can see will need to be cut with clippers or a sharp chisel. I think I can see a flare root in the third picture in the foreground. That's what you are looking for. All those other circling and fiberous roots are (will be) hurting more than helping the tree.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:38 pm 

I agree with Tony that almost all the roots visable in these shots need to be removed. The only exceptions are the adventitious roots that are growing straight out from the trunk. If they aren't circling and posing risk down the line, they should remain.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:27 am 

Hopefully I'll have time in the next few days to cut the circling roots. I'll update this post with some new "after" pics when I'm done.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Dom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 pm 

I finally had some time to remove the girdling roots, and it was worse than I thought... The roots had already cut deep into the tree trunk and I couldn't even remove some of them because they were embedded too deep.

After doing this, the tree was not as sturdy as before due to the fact that the base was probably only half of what it should have been due to the choking and the roots no longer supported the tree. With the high winds lately, I had temporarily tied the tree to some stakes to help it.

But the 60 mph winds the other night were too much...and my tree toppled...busted off right below the ground. Here are a couple of pics from the same direction as the first pic in the first post (This is the tree in the first two pics). You can see that there were even more girdling roots that I had not yet removed.

Both pics really show how much the root I removed had strangled the tree. I feel like if I wouldn't have done anything the tree would still be standing today...but it would only be a matter of time before the tree suffocated itself with the way the roots were so mangled.

Now I need to decide what to replace it with...and in a hurry before it really gets hot!

Regards,

Dom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 am 

Dom-
Unfortunately, you now have first hand knowledge of the damage circling roots can do.
Check the new tree carefully, pull the tree out of the pot to inspect it if you have to.
I would advise getting a small tree that most likely will not yet have compacted and circling roots. With some TLC a small tree will grow fast and often overtake a much larger one.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 am 

Am I wrong in thinking that if he had not done anything the tree might be standing today BUT it would have only been a matter of time before a storm could have taken it down on it's own? I know it was painful for you but you just accelerated the inevitable. Good luck on the next one.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:57 pm 

And this is everywhere! This is the reason why we should plant high quality trees high qualitily! The landscaping business needs to change!