It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:12 am 

First post. I wanted to get the board's advice. I've been a long time reader and enjoy all the advice regarding trees, tree selection etc.

I recenlty bought 8 - 10 trees from one of the nurseries recommended on this site.

They planted them about one month ago and soon after I realized a few of the trees were buried too deep and looked like they may have some circling roots. I asked the owner what to do about a) the trees planted too deep and b) the circling roots.

They came and raised the trees. I went out this weekend to knock some of the dirt off to expose the root flare and on 3 of the trees, the circling roots were about as bad as I've seen. These are new trees with big, thick circling roots. I can post some pictures if need be.

My question: what should I do? Is it unreasonable to ask for these to be replaced? I liked the selection of trees and have so far appreciated the owner's help, but I feel like these trees aren't going to make it long. They will likely live out the one year guarantee, but I don't feel like I got my money's worth.

Thoughts? Advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:28 pm 

So you asked the owner about circling roots before he came back out? What did he say that he would do about it? Were you there when they were replanted to point it out to them or to ensure that they took care of what you agreed to?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:33 pm 

No, I wasn't out there during replanting. I had emailed about the circling roots prior to them replanting. He said he come replant and did not mention the circling roots at all.

It was also something I thought I could fix, but after pulling some of the dirt back, some of the roots were nearly an inch thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:05 pm 

Any other recommendations out there from tree experts?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:02 pm 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I spent a lotta money and want to make sure it wasn't a waste...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:55 am 

There's a company that posts here, I think it's Tree Preservation Service and you should call and talk to them. You might also want to call the place where you bought them and talk to the guy to whom you sent the email. See what they say and take it from there.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 am 

I would definetly call them back & explain that it's still not done to your satisfaction. Insist that they come back & cut the circling roots.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:23 am 

I haven't heard back. I'll try again today.

Part of me would rather them cut the circling roots than replace. I've heard Red Oaks are hard to establish, and this is the one with the worst circling roots. But mine has a lot of new growth (in the short time its been in the ground) and seems healthy despite the terrible roots.

Any other advice is appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 pm 

I think you should post the photos, and name the nursery - unless they immediately take care of the problem. If they do, let's give them a break and chalk it up to a mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:06 am 

Here is Tree Preservation's ph#: 214.528.2266 they are great people & would be helpful, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:43 am 

Ok....I got some pics. Can someone walk me through how to post them?

Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:48 am 

Someone else problbly should be 'walking you thru this' :)

You have your photos on your 'puter, go to photobucket.com (or one of those) & follow their instructions for putting your photos in an 'album' there. (I KNOW you an b/c I DID!)

Then there will be 3 lines under each photo. Select (highlight) the bottom one b/c it will display w/o clicking on a link. Go to 'edit' & selcet 'copy'. Go back to this forum, selct 'reply' or 'new topic', whatever, when it opens, click on the space then go to 'edit' & 'paste'.

You can do it.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 am 

Someone else problbly should be 'walking you thru this' :)

You have your photos on your 'puter, go to photobucket.com (or one of those) & follow their instructions for putting your photos in an 'album' there. (I KNOW you an b/c I DID!)

Then there will be 3 lines under each photo. Select (highlight) the bottom one b/c it will display w/o clicking on a link. Go to 'edit' & select 'copy'. Go back to this forum, select 'reply' or 'new topic', whatever, when it opens, click on the space then go to 'edit' & 'paste'.

You can do it.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:40 pm 

Thanks for the help...

Here's the Chinquapin Oak. I think it is still too deep and its roots look like a bird's nest:

Here is the Burr Oak:

The Red Oak is the worst. The circling roots are very thick on this one:

And finally, for those wanting to see a nice root flare on a brand new tree, here is the Texas Ash they planted. Looks great:

The nursery update: He emailed back and stated that when they came by to raise the trees, they clipped some of the roots, but didn't want to clip too many, b/c they were afraid the trees would die. Don't think it was a professional, just a helper.

As long as they keep working with me, I'd rather not reveal their name. If they refuse to help, I will.

Should they:

a) replace the trees?

or

b) pay a professional to trim the roots?

Thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:32 am 

The circling and bird's nest roots should be removed. The flares are still down lower. The adventitious roots that are showing on the burr oak should be left for a while. Removing them later is OK because they do more good than harm. Your approach is good. The trees should be fine but if any die, replacement is in order. If everyone was this thorough, the growers would start solving this problem so the nursries and contractors don't have to deal with the problem.