It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:03 pm 

I have a question about fertilizing coastal grass. I have been using liquid molasses at about 5 gallons per acre along with Medina Plus at about 1 gallon per acre. I am going to add Medina's Hasta Gro 12-4-8 Lawn Food to this mix this year at about 1-2 quarts per acre. This mix is applied now in the spring and then after each cutting of hay(about once a month). Is there anything else that could be added to help out without driving the price too much higher. I was told to put out a slow release granular but for me, it saves time to apply a liquid in one pass rather than going back a second time for a granular application. I am covering about 100 acres of hay field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:10 pm 

How has the production been so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:14 am 

The production has been pretty good considering the drought conditions we have had. The most visible change is the way the fields look compared to the neighbors who are using chemical fertilizers and herbicides. I guess what I am wondering is, is there anything to add to this mix to get more out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:38 pm 

You might want to talk to Michael Bosco with Sustainable Growth Texas about usin their compost tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:25 am 

You are welcome to check out our website www.WatsonRanchOrganic.com visit the hay and grazing pasture recommendations. The thing that I have found over 13 year using organics on hay pastures is, dont use the same thing every time. Rotating your food sources each application works the best and your food sources should also have other benifits to the crops as well.

Post subject: 70 acres for Hay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:15 pm 

Dirt Doctor wrote:
How has the production been so far?

I have available 70 acres and would like to plant hay, near Sulphur Springs, TX. Please suggest a fertilizing and planting formula. This land has been idle for several years but has been used for cattle.

I've been using the Dirt Doctor's organic program in the city for 10 years. It's beautiful! And our dogs eat Muenster... and have for 8 years.

Thanks!

Patricia
Affinity Farms

Post subject: Hay
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:23 am 

The first thing we did was a soil test. With the results from the test, we had fine ag lime applied to the fields. After that, we've sprayed with our own aerated compost tea. By making our own it costs $2.50/acre for the tea. Also, we put out T Wasps for insect control.

With all the rain this year, we just baled 6-7 large 5'x5' bales of coastal hay per acre. They weight approx 1200-1400#s each. More than 4 bales per acre is hardly ever heard of!

Normally we stockpile the grass for winter grazing, but we like to keep baled hay for emergencies--like the 2-year drought of 05 & 06.

Pat