It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to kill honeysuckle?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:54 am 

I'm desperate!
We went organic in the yard last year, and I haven't needed to kill anything during that time, except the occasional fireant, haha! But now, we really need to kill some honeysuckle, and need to know what to use and how much?
It belongs to my neighbor, and grows on the fence between our properties. I talked to him about it and he said I'm more than welcome to kill it, doesn't matter to him, but then smirked and said "good luck".
He knows we're organic now, I mentioned it to his wife last year.
Any ideas greatly appreciated, gang!
In fact, when I needed the fireants gone I posted here, cant remember how long ago, and the advice I got was great. I measured the amounts of orange oil etc into the gallon jug and it worked beautifully. Took 14 gallons or so if I recall, but worked like a charm.
Thanks gang!
Cheryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 am 

You used 14 gallons of orange oil on fire ants? Wow.

I would start by cutting down the honeysuckle as close to the ground as possible and pouring vinegar on it. Especially when it gets warm, vinegar really burns and kills what it's on.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:03 pm 

Sandi,
Yes! But, the ants were coming from a deep brick flowerbed that is attached to the front of our house. I don't know how to describe it well, but it is about four feet tall, pretty wide, about 6 or 7 ft wide I guess, and is attached to the house under the picture window. Our house was built in the 50s. Anyway, I'd had rocks in there, on top of all the dirt, since nothing would grow well, and to keep the stray cats from using it as the community litter box. So I guess fireants built a nest in there. We began seeing them on the porch, up around the windows, and it took us a while to figure out that is where they were coming from. This was last year, and I had just "discovered" Mr Garrett, and the radio show, and was anxious to start doing things the right way, but I'd also read on here that some people weren't having luck, so ya, I did overkill I guess, but they are gone! haha
I mixed up 7 gallons, one at a time, and poured in over the rocks. During that time, fireants went everywhere. I only stopped because my arms got tired! The next morning, I started wondering if it got all the way down to the ground, and how concentrated it was.. so I mixed up seven more!
My arms felt like jello for two days! haha
Ok long post, sorry, but I wanted to explain. No more fireants anywhere in my yard now. They see me coming with a bucket, a jug of Garrett juice and orange oil, and they run like crazy! (grin)
I will try what you said about cutting it back and vinegar. It has just now started growing again, after the winter period, and so this is a good time. Do I use regular vinegar or another kind?
Cheryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:50 am 

I would use at least 10%. I think there's stronger out there but not sure where to get it...maybe a feed store?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:13 am 

You can get the 20% at Well's Bros. in Plano. But I think DD said that was a little too strong?

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:44 am 

well she's definitely wanting to kill the thing so strong is good.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:45 pm 

I haven't heard of this before, but we have been shopping (for organic yard stuff, garrett juice etc) at a place called Redenta's in Dallas, and a feed store in Garland. I'll ask them about 10% or 20% vinegar. Is that the only name for it? I hope that isn't a dumb question, hehe.
Also, once the honeysuckle is dead, will I be able to grow anything else there ever? Or will I just have to wait a while? If so, about how long?
Sorry if they're dumb questions, but I'm new to gardening as well as organics. Thanks everyone so much!!
CHeryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 am 

Redenta's is a great nursery, in fact I'm going there today to get ammedments. Yes, just ask if they have 10% or 20% vinegar. It's not a dumb question. Yes you can plant in the area after the honeysuckle is dead beacuse the vinegar will not stay in the soil very long and does no damage to it.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:30 pm 

Sandi,
Thank you SO much! ! !
We won't get a chance to go to saturday.. I can't wait to try it
Cheryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:58 am 

just remember that vinegar works best when it's hot outside so just keep trying.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan