It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:30 pm 

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the existing HVAC system for whole house ventilation? Can you add a large dampered intake vent to the air handler that can be opened and used to fluch out the home with cool air from outside. I do not desire the wind tunnel effect of the big whole house fans, just a way to fluch the house on those hot days during the shoulder seasons.
Thank you,
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:32 pm 

Ron-
I would like to investigate a WHV system for my one story home. Where would you suggest I look for information? It's probably not a big deal but I like to learn as much as possible.
Thanks,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:14 am 

This may not help much but the manufacturing plant I used to work for had such systems. The older one dated back to the late 70's. It could bring cooler or warmer fresh air into the handler depending on the weather. I would do a search on some of the larger HVAC companies and see if such a thing exists for homeowners.

Post subject: Commercial system
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:41 pm 

I have been told that using the blower for ventilation is not uncommon in commercial buildings, but has never caught on for residential. Unfortunately I cannot get the details on how this is done. It creates a system where air is brought in through a vent to the air handler and then blown out the windows. That was it can be filtered and you aren't sucking in dust and othere stuff through your windows, which is how traditional whole house fans operate.
There is a system developed in California called "Night Breeze" which automatically ventilates the house with outside air through the air handler when certain outside air conditions are met. However it seems to be designed for much milder climates than we have.

Post subject: WHV and HVAC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:05 pm 

This is a subject I know quite well and it can be done although the area we live in there are only a couple monthes out of the year that you use this feature. If you would like to know more let me know. I have told people for years if you want to lower you electric bill shade the house with trees. The issues discussed in the commercial buildings are not the norm and are due to laziness; the yucky stuff in the walls has nothing to do with the AC system(unless the drain line broke) since the one of the effects of cooling the air is de-humidifing. The HVAC industry like the organic movement suffers from uneducated consumer.

Knowledge is the best way around the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:02 pm 

The temperature differnce between 1st and 2nd floors on a commercial buildng is typically due to an unbalanced airflow. I have been in the HVAC industry for 20 years and have been watching quality of work go down the drain, everyone expects the new technology to make up for poor workmanship. The company I work for now has become a prime example of this and I am looking for another job(but thats another subject).

Using the HVAC system to ventilate the house can be easy depending on the design of the house. You need a spot on the outside of the house (eave or sophit) to cut a hole to draw air. Run a duct from the opening to the return plenum. Install a motorized damper and operate it from a simple thermostat. I am checking on parts to make this work without having to open windows (I heard about this from a friend who's dad lived in the desert and used swamp coolers). I have been playing with this design for years but never thought anyone would be interested.

I have been discussing this with a friend and if anyone in the DFW area is interested we can come out and discuss installing this set up. For anyone too far outside the DFW area I am working on a generic parts list so that you can either have a local contractor do it (RECOMMENDED) or you can do it yourself (CONTACT ME FOR DETAILS BECAUSE SIZING IS IMPORTANT and it can be dangerous)